What to do about a weird situation? - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-03-2007, 12:36 AM   #51
Leighanne
Yeah, tried live. Both of her hides won't fit in the 15 qt people told me to put her in. You see that people I chated with in the chat room. NOBODY says the same thing or agrees and I'm not supposed to bug her when shes not eating especially. Oh my Goodness.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:58 AM   #52
hhmoore
Kristin,
What was said in chat that night was not that balls feel less secure with a hide, it was (as an explanation for why some of us don't use them) that when they are used to a hide they become insecure without it...as in, they freak out and stress when you lift it.
One thing that you need to keep in mind is that there are often many different ways of doing the same thing. That doesn't make any of them "wrong". Yes, you can use hides...but in a smallish tub, particularly in a rack, they aren't always necessary. Many people use crumpled newspaper to add both cover and contact area for the snake (security). Others may have success with just using folded paper, and the snakes will go between the folds if they want to hide.
You should have noticed that a common theme is reducing stress - including handling, feeding attempts, whatever - and allowing time after stress before trying to offer food again. While the amount of time people recommend will vary, we have all been telling you the same thing.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #53
Pink Lady Exotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
Yeah, tried live. Both of her hides won't fit in the 15 qt people told me to put her in. You see that people I chated with in the chat room. NOBODY says the same thing or agrees and I'm not supposed to bug her when shes not eating especially. Oh my Goodness.
If you put her in a 15 qt. tub that doesn't have the darkness/security of a rack (basically left in the open), then you need to get smaller hides. Two upside down dark bowls with small holes cut in them will work well. Remember, they like small, snug hides that they can squeeze into.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:16 AM   #54
Leighanne
The plan was typed out by me on here somewhere. I am putting a towel over her for security. I already know if she can see me she hates it, she runs. So I won't be letting her see the outside of her tub.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:18 AM   #55
Leighanne
Alright HHMoore, I get it, or that, or whatever. The plan. I'm sticking to it that is. I get what everybodys saying! I'm not trying to be rude.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:19 AM   #56
Pink Lady Exotics
A towel over her tub isn't going to make her feel secure -- it's not something snug she can squeeze into and hide in. She's a baby, most babies require hiding places. It's instinct. I have all of my snakes in racks and only 2 of them don't need hides. The others don't eat if they don't have them.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:20 AM   #57
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
The only thing shes shown interest in with feeding attempts since then was the Rats. As I said...somewhere, she peeled the leg skin off one like a drumstick and she bite the bloody crap out of its head but no take. It was an adult Rat though and the Adult Mice are small. They say full grown and they are ,but I could SWEAR there are bigger Mice out there.
Kristin, it is unlikely that a 200 gram Ball Python is capable of eating an adult rat....she very well could have tried to eat it and it was simply too big for her. If she shows interest in rats, by all means feed her rats, but find some appropriately sized. Don't try to give her anything too large.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:20 AM   #58
Leighanne
I mean I get it AND will do whatever it takes. If I have to post EVERY little thing I do with her, when I check on her I will. I swear I will if thats what it takes. I am determined to learn whats up.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:22 AM   #59
Leighanne
An thats exactly what we are going to do. I have read newborn babies can take adult Mice and blah blah but on to trying something different. So whats the new plan Jen, your making sense. The 15 qt. with one hide? Or two? Towel over the tub?

Old 05-03-2007, 01:27 AM   #60
Pink Lady Exotics
Is it a Sterilite or Rubbermaid? I would go with 2 hides, you can get those colored plastic bowls from WalMart for 83 cents (I used pink and blue). You can put a towel over it too for extra security, but make sure some light still gets through for proper photocycle and air circulation. Do you have another room you can put her in that gets less human traffic and disturbances?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!