Making a new site...Questions - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #41
KelliH
Quote:
Now, I appreciate a good cat fight as much as the next guy does. I'll create you ladies your very own thread if you want to continue in the Hell forum.
Meow.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:57 AM   #42
TripleMoonsExotic
You know I respect you, Rick.

I will admit that I didn't word that how I wanted to. I was annoyed and typed faster then I should have and didn't stop and reread before hitting submit.

Computer software IMO for the average person isn't what I would call a "need" in any situation. It's a luxury. Needs come before luxury (or at least they should). IMO it's like jewelry (I know some of us ladies sure as heck wouldn't mind having it though! ) or satellite television (though my husband does think he needs to have it; he evidently has to watch his WWE! ).

ON TOPIC: I might have some other CSS based solutions for your menus that would be easier to input into your HTML. Remember to check in IE6 & IE7 though, they can be a bugger when it comes to reading CSS.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #43
romad119
For anyone to mention how bad it is for Triple Moon to mention the illegalities of copying software for other purposes then to have a copy for back up use could be very hypocritical. Has anyone ever here reported anything illegal or posted against an illegal activity in the herp world such as illegal shipping, etc?

If so, then why? I'm drawing potential parallels since I'm not going to scan therough a person's post to find such a case. IMO if this thread related to critters and not software views would differ then those shown. It shouldn't.

Stephanie's method of putting the info out could have been more refined but the info she put out in this regard is correct. I, at that point, would have least taken it 'underground' since her hardline view made it a possibility that any illegal activity would potentially get reported.

Is it the 'how' or the 'what' she put out that bothersome?

Kelli,

For a website to have a similar layout to yours and trying to say she copied it seems a stretch unless you know more then you are letting on about? Only certain things are copy righted and its very possible that there are hundreds with similar designs in and out of the biz.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:02 AM   #44
romad119
Just a definition to help clear the fog:

software piracy:

The illegal copying of software for distribution within the organization, or to friends, clubs and other groups, or for duplication and resale. The software industry loses billions of dollars each year to piracy, and although it may seem innocent enough to install an application on a couple of additional machines, it may ultimately shatter the profitability of a small software company. Software piracy is a major issue in the U.S. and Europe, but it is rampant in the rest of the world where major applications are routinely copied for resale.

Now one example where the federal government has allowed US military to do something odd is that we can bring back a SINGLE copy of a DVD/CD that is bootleg or has been pirated when overseas. Hmmm.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:13 AM   #45
KelliH
Quote:
I, at that point, would have least taken it 'underground' since her hardline view made it a possibility that any illegal activity would potentially get reported.
I'm not even worried about it being reported. I highly doubt that the feds are going to come after me for offering to burn copies of programs that were released in 1997. I'm certain that they have better things to do, if they don't then it's pretty scary!

Quote:
Is it the 'how' or the 'what' she put out that bothersome?
It's all in the 'how'.

Quote:
For a website to have a similar layout to yours and trying to say she copied it seems a stretch unless you know more then you are letting on about? Only certain things are copy righted and its very possible that there are hundreds with similar designs in and out of the biz.
Actually I have not seen any other leopard gecko breeder websites that have their available pages set up with the information in exactly the same order, same font, and same layout of the photos and text but hey, I'm sure it is just a coincidence.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #46
romad119
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
Actually I have not seen any other leopard gecko breeder websites that have their available pages set up with the information in exactly the same order, same font, and same layout of the photos and text but hey, I'm sure it is just a coincidence.
Kelli,

If think my opinion, would be changed by whether it was Steph or the customer for setting up/requesting that look. I think thats a factor. Neither are illegal but it may be 'bad form'.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #47
Stardust
Actually there are plenty of free places to get templates and there are places where you pay a fee and can get all the templates or what ever you need off the site and there are places where they sell pre-made templates individually. People just change what they want to make their site unique, it is not uncommon practice to use any of these methods.
As far as software, when Morpheus won that lawsuit a few years back on sharing MP3 music( they are in another dispute again with radio now) that pretty much opened up the ballfield and tightened down how people make their software.
One can still go on sites like Morpheus and download software for free. However, the newer software people have gotten smarter about it, for instance, I have adobe photoshop suite (I bought it) it allows for (if I remember correctly) four copies to be made but you must punch in the activation code with every copy and then Adobe has to approve it. So technically it is OK to share especially the older softwares. Where the problem runs in with that is that instead of people buying say the full version at 1k they would only be buying the updated version at like 300. It would apply to any other programs. I have the newer frontpage too but I see 7.0 and lower running free all over the place.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:57 AM   #48
Dennis Hultman
Rick, congrats on the new site. I can't wait to see it when you are done.

Every time I go to work on a couple of domains I've purchased I get a severe headache so can't help you out with anything. One of these days I'm just going to have to pay someone to do it for me.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #49
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
As I have said repetitively, Mike specifically asked for a certain layout for his Available pages and I provided it.

I bet if I researched I can find that same layout, created for print, BEFORE your web site was created. Does that mean your "copying"? No, it certainly doesn't.

It's all been done before. All that you see now on the web was done first in print; everything you see now was molded into something "new" to suit whomever it's for.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #50
Gary O
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
You know I respect you, Rick.
or satellite television (though my husband does think he needs to have it; he evidently has to watch his WWE! ).

Hey, I have an issue with this. WWE rocks! SO THERE STEPH!

HA HA HA

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!