Safe-Guard (aka Panacur & Fenbendazole) Overdosage, is it possible? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-19-2004, 01:49 PM   #1
Intense Herpetoculture
Safe-Guard (aka Panacur & Fenbendazole) Overdosage, is it possible?

Knowing how Safe-Guard works (aka Panacur & Fenbendazole), by causing the adult nematodes to become sterile, is it truely possible to over dose a leopard gecko with this medication? I've imported animals and worked for WC animals for years, used Safe-Guard each time and I've never had a problem. Talked to my vet about this for some length and we have come to the conclusion that you can not over dosage reptiles with this medication. Although I do remember reading something about Fea Vipers being affected (was at the Dallas or Fort Worth zoo, early ninties), but personally I think it might have been something else. Just thought I would break this discussion into a new post. With all that being said, let me hear your thoughts concerning the subject.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
Veterinary information on Panacur

This is a good subject, and I'm glad you started it in it's own thread, Justyn! I thought I'd post this link to a great article on Panacur (fenbendazole) and it's use on reptiles. Personally, I am extremely meticulous when it comes to my animals, and I would not risk using anything but Panacur suspension (liquid) in the prescribed theraputic dose of 25-50mg/kg.

Here's the link... decide for yourselves:
http://www.chameleonnews.com/year200...r/panacur.html

Old 03-19-2004, 03:16 PM   #3
tha3rdman
Personally, I think to much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Probly best to stay with-in the prescribed limits. I think its nice to have the comfort zone panacur and the like offer but would I give 15cc of 100mg/ml to a single 10g Leo, probly not.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:26 PM   #4
Vince
I dont know if they OD or not, but certantly filling a dehydrated paricite infected animal with medications may in fact do more harm then good? Should a wild caught be acclimated to captivity before treated?

I have another question that may fit well in this thread. What if any effect would there be in treating a gravid lizard with panacur

Old 03-19-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
Golden Gate Geckos
what my vet says...

I emailed my veterinarian with the question, "Is it possible to overdose a leopard gecko with Panacur?" This was his response:

Subj: Panacur
Date: 3/19/2004 1:25:12 PM Pacific Standard Time
To: Goldengategeckos

Hi Marcia,

It's possible, but only if given at a high dosage all at once. If given at the correct dosage at 14 day intervals, less likely. If the gecko has a high burden of parasites, a deworming if the pet is not in great shape can also cause death.

Ken Harkewicz, DVM

Old 03-19-2004, 04:47 PM   #6
Golden Gate Geckos
regarding gravid females

Vince, when I read your post I emailed my vet right back with the question about giving Panacur to gravid females, he immediately responded (caught him online!):

Subj: Panacur
Date: 3/19/2004 1:39:25 PM Pacific Standard Time
To: Goldengategeckos

Marcia,

You're welcome! Panacur is safe to give when gravid given the same protocol I mentioned in the previous mail.

- Ken

Old 03-19-2004, 05:48 PM   #7
Vince
thanks a lot, this is some valuable info to know, just in case.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!