Hookworm fecal result - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-18-2004, 03:25 PM   #1
ShannanD25
Hookworm fecal result

I just purchased some nice Leos and received with them a free "skinny"(from breeding per the breeder) patternless. The breeder was treating her for a yeast infection. I took a poop sample in and the vet is telling me it is positive for hookworm. But the vet won't dispense the meds unless I bring her in so they can see her which is another $55 for an "exotic" plus the charge for the meds. Has anyone dealt with this? I am going to treat the two giants and other leo I received in the same shipment just in case. And yes, I quarantined them when I received them like everyone advises....Thank God!!!

I don't want to see like a cheap a$$ here but if I can save the $55 (just for the vet to say, yup she is skinny and that makes sense since she has hookworm in her fecal sample), I'd like to. Plus, since I need to treat the other 3 that came in, in the same shipment, the vet will have to see all three, which is three sepearte charges....And I need a new vet Any advice?

Thanks!
Shannan Donivan
www.leopardgeckosinc.com

Old 03-18-2004, 04:46 PM   #2
KelliH
She said it had a yeast infection? What was she treating it with, Monistat? Sheesh, I'm sorry but I have never heard of a gecko with a yeast infection, that is B.S.

About the hookworms, they are treated with panacur, which you can purchase in a paste form at a feed store (it is marketed as a horse dewormer), or you can try and find a breeder in your area that has access to the drug.

Best of luck

Old 03-18-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
robin d.
personally i would either a.) send them back and ask for a full refund or b.) tell the seller she needs to step up and be responsiible for the parasitic animals this person sold you and cover the vet bills.
i have never heard of a yeast infection in a leo, except from one person, and it wouldnt suprise me if whom you bought them from was this person.
none the less she should refund you or be responsible for the vet bills associated with the parasitic ridden geckos

Old 03-19-2004, 12:51 AM   #4
Intense Herpetoculture
Panacur is also sold as Safe-Guard, I use the paste form, apple flavor.

Old 03-19-2004, 09:11 AM   #5
Vince
thats true , you should find another vet. i recently had to bring some geckos in and it cost me a total of 48.00 for 4 geckos to be examined and treated. he doesnt file them under exotic ether, just reptiles. he gave them panacur and it did wonders for my fattails. they had hook worms also. I meen these where so close to the edge and now are fully heathy. but dont wast time, and type of parastie can have an unpredicatble effect on the host, you wouldnt want to lose your leos. also let the seller know what happend. good luck and keep in touch.

Old 03-19-2004, 09:35 AM   #6
ShannanD25
I have informed the seller. She told me if I don't have time to take care of the patternless to give her away or donate her somewhere. I've been hearing from a bunch of people who guessed right off the bat who I bought them from saying they had similar run ins. Some have also heard she sells sick animals. From here on out, no matter how much I want the Leos, I am posting for info on the breeder.
I'd like to send the whole bunch back, but then I feel bad for sending the skeleton patternless back. Of course, she was free. So does that mean I get to keep her?

I don't know what to do!

Old 03-19-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
Vince
I say you should make up for the lack of responsability of the last keeper, nurse the sick one back to heath and dont let the ones that apear heathy fall ill. hook worms spread easy so be careful. who sold these to you? if one leo they have has hookworms then most likely alot of them do.

Old 03-19-2004, 10:21 AM   #8
robin d.
since this person sent you the sick gecko(s)... dont you think it is her responsibility to pay the vet bills? whatever you chose i would post on the BOI about this seller, this is not the kind of people we need in the herp business. because it will continue to get done to tohers opver and over..

Old 03-19-2004, 12:19 PM   #9
ShannanD25
Marcia from Golden Gate Geckos sent me the dosage recommendation. I am just going to keep everyone and try to nurse the Patternless back to health. If successful, I am going to have one beautiful girl that I received for free! I'll post an inquiry on BOI and see what other run ins with this breeder people have had. My biggest complaint is that the patternless was posted in the ad on Kingsnake as free with the Tremper Giants because she was thin from breeding. In prior emails it was that she was thin from breeding with a possible , but very common in Leos, yeast infection that is treatable with active culture yogurt , and after the shipment was received, it was more of a oh, not so sure what is wrong give her away if you don't want to deal with it.

Her skeleton like appearance was not from breeding, as in the ad. If it was a yeast infection then she has had it for a long time to look like this. I am pi$$ed that this animal suffered in any way. No animal deserves it.

I think she should pay the vet bill but I am not going to get into a pi$$ing contest with her over it. It was $9 for the fecal and my vet doesn't know about dosing reptiles so I won't be going back. I will be looking for a different vet for the Leos. I am going to use Marcia's advice with the Panacur and dose them all. I need experience doing this anyways. I also want to get a good microscope and start doing my own fecal tests monthly. I think it would be fascinating. Not working with poop, but the slide work. I am a geek at heart. Thanks for all the replies!

Old 03-19-2004, 12:24 PM   #10
Vince
Quote:
Originally posted by robin d.
since this person sent you the sick gecko(s)... dont you think it is her responsibility to pay the vet bills? whatever you chose i would post on the BOI about this seller, this is not the kind of people we need in the herp business. because it will continue to get done to tohers opver and over..
of cource the seller should take the responsibility for the cost to treat the sick lizards, but not the one that was adopted, i say if the others test positive the seller needs to pay for the treatment 100%.

hope everything turns out ok, just remember if you send these geckos back most likely they will go untreated and just sold off to the next person.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!