Shedding problems - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-20-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
TheFieryAngel
Shedding problems

I have had my ball python for 6 months now, she is a year old, and is entering her second shed (while I have had her). Her first shed went terribly, the humidity was low and she had a lot of trouble getting the skin off. Now, the second time around, I have changed the humidity, and it is constantly between 50 and 65. However, my snake started the sheeding process a little over a week ago. FOr a while she stayed secluded and didn't move around a lot. During this time I didn't feed her. Now she has started to move around again, but she hasn't shed the skin. It is just on top of her old skin, and she doesn't seem to know how to rub it off. I have no idea what to do. What do you make of it?

Old 05-20-2006, 01:51 AM   #2
markface
i dont think you have anything to worry about . it takes on average 7 to 10 days for a ball python (and many other snakes) to complete a shed cycle . the most obvious sign of going into a shed is the cloudy eyes . another would be for the belly scales to discolor , usually going pinkish in color . these are caused by oils secreted between the new skin and the old . snakes will appear dull or les colorful during this time . a day or 2 before a snake actually sheds the cloudiness will clear and the snake will look normal or may show some signs of the old skin seperating . once this stage is reached your snake will most likely shed on its own within 24 to 48 hours . give your ball a little time to finish and i'm sure she will be fine .

Old 05-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
TheFieryAngel
Another thing, should I feed my snake while she is shedding? It has been a week and half now and she is moving around the cage again, but she won't take the skin off. Besides that obvious problem, should I feed her now that she is moving?

Old 05-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #4
SVT Snake
You can try, but she may not eat if her shedding cycle isn't complete. I would wait until she finishes shedding.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
tstrenuous10
i was in this same boat a little while ago. mine ate no prob.......after the 3rd try!

Old 05-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
TheFieryAngel
Now I am really getting worried. It has been two weeks, the skin is loose and around my snake's body, but she just won't shed! She had one good shed before I bought her, and then I move her into my cage and she just won't do it. Last time I can only assume it was because my humidity was too low (20/30 percent). Soon after that I upped it to 50/60 percent and she jsut won't shed. I can probably soak her and rub the skin off, but why won't she just do it on her own?

Old 05-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
Junkyard
Keep the humidity up and give her time. Some take longer then others to shed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!