Rhac Scenting? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Zach Spyker
Rhac Scenting?

Anyone have experience with having to sent food for certain species of snakes.
From what I have read many people use anoles to sent.

arboreal snake. arboreal lizard eater.

ie. anoles scent

has anyone tried scenting rodent prey items with rhac scent. Just curious. seance I am very interested in a certain picky eater and I have rhacs just sitting around. mine as well have a second function if need be.

I know if they are CBB and started on pinkies they are usually well off, but have read a few stories, I think mostly of imports.

The species I am interested in are Candoia.

I know the old stand by ..TUNA

just wandered about arboreal geckos.(scent).

Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Twizted Paths
Seamus had luck with KFC chicken skin. Seriously.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Helenthereef
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Rhac, but my captive born and wild caught Candoia (bibroni bibroni) go wild for normal house geckos (Hemidactylus and Lepidodactylus) AND forest geckos (Gehyra). In fact the cb born ate nothing else for their first 2 years.

In my experience at least this one species of Candoia would probably grab any gecko known to man, and any item (fingers included) that smell of gecko.

Not too keen on skinks though.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post
Seamus had luck with KFC chicken skin. Seriously.
My adult C.b. bibroni eat frozen chicken hearts, frozen chicken wings, frozen chicken drumsticks....it's a regular KFC here when I can't get geckos.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Twizted Paths
Lol, you got the big ones Helen, mine couldn't handle that. Maybe the heart cut up but that's it.

The whole gecko slurry thing is why I'm not considering breeding them. I think house geckos are cute & would feel so very guilty

Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post
Lol, you got the big ones Helen, mine couldn't handle that. Maybe the heart cut up but that's it.

The whole gecko slurry thing is why I'm not considering breeding them. I think house geckos are cute & would feel so very guilty
I feel guilty about the geckos too, but not guilty enough haha... I've heard they'll take frogs too, but I don't have any handy here so I've never tried.

They ARE hard to feed when they are neonates- it's more their size than anything.

What worked for me with the the chicken hearts was to feed a gecko, and insert a heart under its tail as it was vanishing, and the snake just kept on chomping.... now they'll take hearts voluntarily, although it took a while.

There's a breeder in the UK who got all of his more than 20 neonates straight onto pinky mice though, so it is possible.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
Helenthereef
Neonate candoia, neonate gecko....

Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
Helenthereef
Bloody great snake, bloody great chicken drumstick!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
Twizted Paths
See, that's scary tiny! I saw a pic some where of a paulsoni curled next to a quarter and the quarter looked huge.

I'll take pics of mine feeding on their mice not this coming feed but the next. I'm still worried about the flash putting them off.

Hey Zach! Have you decided what kind of candoia are you looking towards?

Old 01-06-2010, 03:58 AM   #10
Zach Spyker
Thanks for all the great feed back everyone.
I'm feeling pretty confident I could handle caring for Candoia even though I have not kept snakes before - well a ball python years ago and now getting back into balls again. But have kept a variety of other herps from many gecko species, to PDF, tree frogs and akies.

I was and am still thinking I love the SIG and they would be my first choice. But I met a sweet SIT the other day at a local reptile shop and well, they're on me radar. I guess it would depend what came available first. The SIT was very cool and rapped himself around my rest nice and cozy and didn't want to leave. I think eventually we will have both.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!