boas and paint? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
geckogrl6
boas and paint?

I have a situation which might necessitate my doing some interior painting with my BRB in the room. While I realize this is not ideal, it might not be avoidable. Does anyone have any help on how to best do this safely? He is just turned 2 and roughly 4 feet. In a 45 gal (12d x 24 h x 36l; 75 cool/82-88 hot) with about 2/3 the top covered and the other third has a heat lamp. Maintains about 80% humidity. I will of course be giving as much fresh air in the room as possible, but I was thinking of fully covering the tank for awhile. I will throw a dropcloth over it, but would it be ok to seal the tank for a couple hours to keep fumes out? not necc? or not doable (ie-prob have to board it- ugh!) any particular ingredients to stay away from? primer ok too?

Old 09-21-2009, 05:09 AM   #2
Kiote_9
Get a nice sterlite or rubbermade and put him in a different room until the paint dries.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
geckogrl6
Yeah that would work, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I am looking at a minimum of four coats, and prob 1 wall @ a time (plus 2 coats min on trim), so am trying to find a solution that would not involve moving him several times.....The whole process will likely be spread over at least a week. Am REALLY hoping to hear something besides "put him elsewhere" though if it comes to that, then so be it
The paint says its dry in an hour, but I know its longer than that that I can smell fumes....The primer can says it contains "crystalline silica" and carries a specific breathing warning. I notice irritation myself & wear a dust mask.
If I can bring him back in the room after an hour or two, why cant I saran wrap the tank for that long? is CO2 gonna build that quick? air exchange is already minor, as per my OP. Whats the max I should keep him in a tupperware, or more likely, a 20 gal, in another room?
Help?

Old 09-22-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
Helenthereef
Personally I'd move him. Wouldn't take any of the other risks

Old 09-22-2009, 05:13 AM   #5
Kiote_9
You can keep him in the other container for a week easily. Some peoples snakes live in sterlites and rubbermaids with no ill effects for their entire lives. Give him water, some substrate, and put his lamp above him for heat.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:15 AM   #6
Kiote_9
You said 4 coats? Have you considered putting primer on then fewer coats of paint?

Old 09-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
geckogrl6
Yeah, I guess I will have to house him elsewhere for awhile. I dont like the solution, but oh well. I really didnt want to do that, as I most likely wont be able to handle him while he is elsewhere, and I really try not to go too long between handlings either, but his health is ultimately more important in the long run than his temperment.
Oh, and its a total 4 coats- 2 primer, 2 paint, not 4 paint coats lol Panelling!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #8
Kiote_9
I hope your painting goes smoothly...it's such a pain to paint over panelling.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
geckogrl6
Thanks! I actually found a local herp store that will board him much cheaper than vet.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
Tiger Lilly
I don't mean to be negative, but as far as a 'local pet store' boarding him, is he going to be in a quarantine situation or in & around the pet store reptile stock? Just something to think about...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!