The Death Penalty - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Lonely Hearts Club Forum

Notices

Lonely Hearts Club Forum Looking for someone with a common interest? Why not go where they hang out? Have fun, but not TOO much fun in here. ONLY members over 18 are welcome here.

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the death penalty?
Not under any circumstances 7 12.96%
Only when the victim is a child 0 0%
It is for the jury to decide 2 3.70%
Only in outstandingly cruel or horrible crimes 4 7.41%
exes, honey, fire ants 2 3.70%
If they hurt me or my family, they'd never get as far as the courtroom. 4 7.41%
Each case is different 0 0%
exes, elevators, cobras 0 0%
It's God's responsibility to judge 'em, it's our responsibility to arrange the meeting 5 9.26%
Fry 'em 30 55.56%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2004, 05:39 PM   #11
TooManyBurmese
Very true Brian. It is horrible when someone spends years of their life in prison for nothing. There was a man and woman on "Henry Lee" last week. They BOTH went to prison for killing their children and stayed in prison for 6 years. They were both proven with Forensics to be innocent. Sadly they divorced, leaving each other when they needed each other most, and neither attempted to regain custody of the living child. It tore them apart inside and out.

My brother is behind me reading this. He adds "If you don't want to get nailed for something you didn't do, stay the hell away from dead bodies!"

There is even a Bible passage about not appearing to do evil, as it's just as bad (our mother is a big Bible person)

I am going to shut up now. I like Brian, and really don't like even friendly debates

Old 09-07-2004, 07:22 PM   #12
bcfos
Well don't get me wrong I am a firm believer in "do the crime do the time" except our justice system has some big flaws in it which need to be fixed. Also the days of beating a confession out of a suspect are long gone. Half my family is in law enforcement as cops. state troopers, district attorneys, or judges. The other half is defence lawyers and criminal elements of our society. This makes for a very interesting family reunion. Say "Uncle Joe" had some problems with a RICO charge or something else with his continuing criminal enterprise. Well "Uncle Wayne" sees him at the reunion and is all about "Why the hell is he not in jail?". I see it from both sides every day with my family. One side locks up the other side all the time. It gets quite comical at times but you see the loopholes the criminals can use and you also see the problems with the justice system where an innocent person can be convicted of a crime they didn't do.

When I went to school I wanted to be the one to make a difference. I started out wanting to be a forensic pathologist, but after doing a semester in a very large coroners office outside of Atlanta I decided I could not take it. Dead bodies never bothered me, but seeing kids come in who were beaten to death, burned, dunked in boiling water untill they died was a bit much for me to take. The uncles and cousins I have who are cops I have asked many times how they can see such things and not just go and put a round or two in their parents head for doing that to a child. They say it isn't easy but you have to keep your cool and let justice work. People who do stuff like this to kids have a special place in hell I hope.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:28 PM   #13
Ken Harbart
A few misguided folks say that the death penalty does not serve as a deterrent. I have to disagree.

Statistics show that the recidivism rate of executed convicts is currently hovering right around 0%.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:45 PM   #14
Brownie55
Quote:
Statistics show that the recidivism rate of executed convicts is currently hovering right around 0%.
Oddly, the rate is exactly the same for both true criminals and those executed by because of lying cops, false witnesses and over-zealous DAs.

Execution is the only sentence you can't correct. Life without the possibility of parole is more civilized. And, for TooManyBurmese that gave us the Bible quote earlier, let me toss two back: "Thou shalt not kill," and "Vengence is mine, sayeth the Lord."

Old 09-09-2004, 09:22 PM   #15
Lucille
The Lord can judge them, we will just arrange the meeting....
Seriously, we spend tens of thousands of dollars on each capital case before we fry them. They have free legal advice if they need it, and every opportunity. I will not will not will not espouse any theory that has murderers walking around while I have children out there.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:39 PM   #16
llechler
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. --Ghandi

To kill someone for killing someone else only proves and teaches people who want to kill and everyone else that killing is an ACCEPTABLE punishment. We are only perpetuating the cycle of DEATH.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:42 AM   #17
Lucille
Killing is an acceptable punishment. Certain kinds of murderers go on to murder again and again. If you keep them imprisoned for life, they sometimes murder in prison. No way are they going to get as far as my family.
You are welcome to your principals about the death penalty; I myself want a life and want my children to live.

Old 09-10-2004, 05:55 AM   #18
sirenofthestorm
I was gonna keep my mouth shut on this thread, but I just can't resist any longer. You all say the lord can judge them, you just arrange the meeting.
Well what IF the person is innocent, who gets punished for his death? Everyone who took comfort in it? Just the executioner? The D.A., the governors during his sentence?

As a whole I don't agree with the death penalty, especially in older cases where there wasn't DNA evidence. And personally, I'd think it'd be more fitting for killers to have a life sentence without the possibility of parole, being someone's lackey in prison, because as far as I know that's a pretty freaking miserable existance. And even if there is irrefutable forensic evidence, we can never be 100% sure because we weren't there, and I'm uneasy with the idea that someone can be put to death based on eyewitness and circumstantial evidence alone.

And as for serial killers, keep them all together in some square state (kidding of course....), but keep them all together and let them pick each other off.

But this still doesn't even begin to address the base problems with the criminal justice system or the judicial system at all. Yes it could be worse, but it works off the backs of people, and everyone is failable.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Whit

Old 09-10-2004, 10:33 AM   #19
Lucille
Well, it is pretty common to criticize and not take a thoughtful look at the alternative. Don't get me wrong, you have a right to your feelings and have a right to criticize; but the fact is, that however imperfect our system of justice is, it is a helluva lot better than most of the world has.
Yes the criminal justice here has lots of imperfections and loopholes; but most of them are for the benefit of the accused, not the other way around.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:18 AM   #20
llechler
I would have to agree with sirenofthestorm though. An acceptable alternative would be to give them life sentences with no parole. This way, to me, would be more punishable than death, and cheaper for the tax payers as well. I know the prisons are overrun as it is, but it costs tons of money to execute people and it would actually be cheaper to keep them alive. I don't believe in suffering, and yes, these people are bad and they have caused NUMEROUS amounts of suffering, but that doesn't give us the right to cause them suffering. Back to the whole eye for an eye thing. And yes, I want my family to be safe, but there are alternatives. You don't have to go around killing everyone to feel safe, it's barbaric.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!