Any women here actually field collect? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Lonely Hearts Club Forum

Notices

Lonely Hearts Club Forum Looking for someone with a common interest? Why not go where they hang out? Have fun, but not TOO much fun in here. ONLY members over 18 are welcome here.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
John Albrecht
Any women here actually field collect?

Wondering if there are any women who actually enjoy going field collecting as opposed to just going along for the ride.

What's the most rigourous collecting you've done? Where was it? What were you trying to find?

Old 07-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
old guy
I'm like you John

Have wondered about this and in my 40 plus years of doing all, hate to admit it that the cautionary side of women doing this would invoke possibly dangerous scenarios if alone or just women doing so. While I have watched several programs of women collectors in field, but there was always a male counter part there in some capacity. I know of women breeders but field collectors, no. This can even be seen on women any animal filed observers and the famous included like Jane Goodal. When she did a lecture at my daughters school and slide show, the pics always had a male person in the background. Obvious for more reasons than one though. Fact of a trip in Big Bend region of the above dangerous scenario : about 7 of us down one year all staying at the same place. 2 of the 7 males including me had our women aboard. Out of the 7 field collectors who do you suppose got more noticed, more talk, more interest as to what we found or saw ? Out of 7 of us and the 2 females how many of us got the side glances, smiles, direct communications, and out-of-the-way hellos and good byes ? This was not only herpers but locals as well. Catch my drift..........

Old 07-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
John Albrecht
I can understand a women being cautious. It would probably be best for noone, regardless of sex, to head into the field alone. A lot can happen.

What I'm really wondering is, how many women enjoy the rigors of collecting when the opportunity avails itself and what they like to collect.

When I go collecting in Okeetee, there are very few people that can keep up with me. You got to really like it, a whole lot, to put yourself through what I go through. A typical day for me consist of hiking about 15 miles through mostly swamp and other terrain. Chased by hoards of deerflys in the sunlight and swarmed by mosquitos in the shade. Then of course, there are all the wasp. They are under boards, under bark, basically everywhere. I find myself suddenly having to sprint about 12 or 15 times after I'm already exhausted. I'm soaking wet from the swamp and from sweat.

Then, when I'm all done and finally find my truck again I get to relax with some leach and tick pulling.

Not all days are that rough though. Sometimes I find so many snakes that I never need to cover that kind of terrain. Last year I found 12 Scarlet Kings and 2 cornsnakes in just one morning alone, along with a bunch of other stuff. I took the afternoon off and headed for the beach.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
Laura Fopiano
Actually there are still of few of us around. I love going in the field, especially in the morning and at dusk. It has been a while for me, (about a year) but I still haven't forgotten...it's one of those things that we are born with.
Searching for the elusive "female" field herper is similar to searching for your coveted prize....we can still be found, you just have to know where to look.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
ms_terese
Yep, I am most often found wandering through Mark Twain National Forest or parts nearby with a hook and my hiking boots on....I've found my share of cottonmouths, copperheads, racers, skinks, scorpions, prairie kingsnakes, pygmy rattlesnakes, water snakes, red milksnakes, speckled kingsnakes, etc. etc. It's my husband's and my idea of a really exciting weekend!

Old 07-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
John Albrecht
and...

I went to Okeetee this weekend. Did I mention chiggers? I definately should have mentioned chiggers...

Old 09-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
Shellybee
It has been YEARS but anything I found...I put back.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
barbie69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybee
anything I found...I put back.
Oh yes absolutely, but that would be so much fun !! To get to see things in the wild has to be so cool! I have never been, but I have promised myself after graduation when we move west I will go! I hope I have someone to go with by then, I am not experienced enought to ever go alone .

Old 09-24-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
John Albrecht
Good Idea

It's always best to field collect with someone, especially when exploring areas you are not extremely familiar with.

It's hard enough dealing with what nature can throw at you, and even more of a hassle if you should run into someone unpleasant.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!