Crested egg help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
mankoriginal
Unhappy Crested egg help

Hey, im new to breeding geckos and i had my first batch 72 days ago. I kept them in vermiculite and perlite with some coconut fiber mixed with some of the vermiculite. The top 2 in the picture have been there for 72 days and the others are newer. Are they okay even though they aren't exactly white? My friend said they are fine so long as they do not deflate. Is this true?
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
americananie
I'm afraid you've posted this in the wrong forum.
I think you would find more answers to your question in the Geckos Discussion forum, which can be found here:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...splay.php?f=93
The eggs look pretty healthy to me, but I'm sure you'll find a more knowledgeable answer when/if this thread can be moved for you.
Good luck!

Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Jateui
Yeah, wrong forum, but I'll help ya out anyway.

1. Coco-fiber stains eggs, but to my knowledge shouldn't harm it otherwise
2. the eggs look undercalcified. Are you sure they're even fertile? If the ones by the penny are older, they look like they're more likely fertile, but the bottom ones look too odd.
3. You might be keeping the incubating substrate far too wet. The eggs shouldn't look wet 24/7. Too much moisture can drown the embryo. You might want to try something like hatch-rite or superhatch. It's a bit easier to control, especially if you are new at this.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...heeggsss-1.png
Here's a batch of eggs on hatchrite. All of them hatched out, the one on the bottom left had been left in the lay box too long and was under-calcified, so it was easily dyed. The one on the top right had a slight under-calcified spot, which kind of looks like an odd webbed crack in the egg. It hatched out just fine though. I had gotten one batch of eggs that look like the bottom ones in your picture, and none of them made it. They were too under-calcified.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
bad-one
From my experience, coco fiber stains eggs when it is too wet. And I agree with the poster above- It looks really wet in there, and that can cause discoloration. My first few eggs had that sort of colored spots from it being too moist. You shouldn't be able to squeeze water out of the substrate- it should be just wet enough to clump when you squeeze it but not for water to come out.

Crested eggs can incubate from 60- 100+ days. If you try candling them they should be almost all black (filled up) inside at this age or at least filling most of it. The bottom ones look iffy, but when in doubt don't throw it out! They can surprise you.

They do not deflate.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
bad-one
Misread something (thought you were asking if they deflated when it came close to hatching), the bottom two should be ok as long as they don't deflate or start growing mold or stinking really bad. When an egg goes bad, it is typically pretty obvious.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
mankoriginal
Thanks for the help everybody, Much appreciated ^-^!! I am going to take some of the moisture out now i guess.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
mankoriginal
Oh, something new came up. Does anyone know whether a clear, sticky liquid is oozing from it is bad? The upper left one is doing that right now. Im guessing its either about to hatch or something terrible has gone wrong. 0_0 (Its been about 76 days since i have had it)

Old 06-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
bad-one
That fluid is the fluid the babie sits in, if there are slits in the eggs then it should be hatching. Although, I would expect you to see a head sticking out very very quickly after the first couple slits so it doesn't drown which does occassionally happen.

I've never seen that fluid just ooze out of the egg shell so unless it is coming out of a hole or slit I'd be concerned.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!