Emergency! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
brianklein
Emergency!

I recently acquired 5 leo's and I am experienced somewhat but I tried to get Perlite from lowe's and Wally world today and the only perlite I could find was supplemented with miracle grow(miracle grow brand.) I was going to try other places tomorrow but I just looked and there are two eggs in the egg laying chamber. My incubator is set with water in the bottom tray set at 88 degrees but I have no perlite. What do I do?

Leave them until tomorrow?

Brian

Old 06-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
brianklein
Sorry for the dbl post, I was fixing a typo and hit stop in my browser and then fixed the mistake and hit submit and it submitted 2 sorry.

Brian

Old 06-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Sublime Reptiles
Try home depot for perlite that is fert free, but also call around to other nurseries in your area. Other things you can use is moss, pond soil, hatchrite and super hatch, along with vermiculite.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
snowgyre
I recommend using slightly moistened coco-bedding you can buy in blocks from a pet store in the reptile section. Coco-bedding, unlike sphagnum moss and pond soil, is the only substrate other than perlite and vermiculite that is fungus free in my personal experience. I had terrible fungus problems with other incubation medium. Just make sure you don't keep things TOO wet.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Sublime Reptiles
Hatchrite and Superhatch are recommended by alot of breeders, myself I use perlite but in the past I have found that the coco fibers mold fairly easily which is why I suggested the other mediums. THe nice thing about the moss is that it is far cheaper then the coco fibers, and will work for a week or so until the correct incubation medium can be found, and you are not stuck with a ton of coco fibers afterwards.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
snowgyre
Wow, Melissa and I had completely different experiences with the same stuff. I've never had a fungus problem with the cocofibers, but I've had TONS of problems with virtually any type of moss.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
angie.h
I,too had coco fibers mold on me. You might try a mix of children's play sand and peat moss.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Sublime Reptiles
well like I said moss isnt a long term medium to use, but it works in quick instances until you can get the correct stuff.

I thought of a few other places to look for perlite, Meijers and Walmart. I use the Scotts brand.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!