Question from a Potential Newbie - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Cailetsb
Question from a Potential Newbie

Hi All,

I'm contemplating getting a Leopard Gecko in the next little bit, but I'm worried about the food issue. Can you feed them strictly meal worms (with the occasional wax worm for a treat)? I know you need to dust them and everything, which I'm fine with but I want at all costs to stay away from crickets! We had a swift when I was a kid and I have awful cricket memories Anyway I'm just wondering if meal worms will be enough or not. Any input will be great appreciated!

Cheers!
~Sarah

Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
JordanAng420
Mealworms are perfectly fine for a leopard gecko. You don't HAVE to feed crickets, however, a varied diet is always the healthiest way to go. You can also try silkworms, superworms, waxworms, roaches (if you're brave enough).

Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Tenor Goddess
A really informative site to visit is Ron Tremper's site.
He has a good caresheet on there as well as showing how he raises up his geckos that seems to work great!
www.leopardgecko.com
I follow that method for my leos and they are doing great (just got a trio myself). I've had lizard for over a decade and a half and these are my first leos.

Hugs,

Amanda Rose

Old 06-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Cailetsb
Thanks! I thought that would be the case, but I'd hate to assume and then have a leopard pay the price I think I can handle roaches, but I'm not sure I have any where around here to buy them, so I'll probably stick to meal worms and wax worms

Thanks Again!
~Sarah

Old 06-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
HyderHouseHerps
You can order some bugs online too. I usually order a few different kinds and switch it up. I use things that can be refrigerated (butterworms, mealworms, and waxworms) but you could also use things like phoenix worms and roaches.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
malves85
Phoenix Worms! I love these things. You get 100 in this tiny container. I have 2 adult leopard geckos and go through about a container a week. They are high in calcium so you dont need to powder them like crickets. I do on the weekends just so they get extra vitamins. You can toss the container in the fridge and they will live for a few weeks.
Premiumcrickets, Coastalsilkworms and mullberyfarms are 3 sites you can order insects from. I rotate between phoenix, butter and silk worms with the occasional waxworm and cricket.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!