" Is day 1 too soon to cut. " - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
RJK890
Update:

Just wanted to update this thread, and see what y'all think is going on.

2010 season:
Genetic Stripe x Albino (Virgin.)
4eggs, 4 Albinos.
(Thinking our G.Stripe male turned out to be Het Albino, and that the Albino offspring are het G.Stripe.)
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...hlight=late%2C

2011 season: (This thread.)
Genetic Stripe (het Albino???) x Albino
8 eggs, 8 DH Albino/G.Stripe, No Albinos.
(Now thinking our male G.Stripe is not het Albino, and that our virgin female Albino Asexually reproduced in the 2010 season.)

The female Albino was absolutely never with any male besides the G.Stripe before this 2012 season.
This season, we decided to pair our female Albino with our Albino BlackPastel, and Spider 100%het TSK Axanthic males, and not repeat the G.Stripe x Albino pairing.

Next season we will have a female Albino from the 2010 season, and maybe a DH Albino/G.Stripe female or two from the 2011 season up to size.
The DH females will be bred to DH Albino/G.Stripe males.

Would you breed the 2010 female Albino to a DH Albino/G.Stripe male, or to the G.Stripe male in order to try and figure out what happened in the 2010 season ?

(Either the G.Stripe male is het Albino, making the 2010 female Albino het G.Stripe, or, there was no sire to the 2010 clutch, and our female Albino asexually reproduced herself.)

Old 06-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
Double B Reptiles
Do a repeat breeding of the Genetic Stripe poss het albino to the albino girl. Also breed the male to another albino or het and see if he is in fact a het. Depending on if you get a bunch of albinos from the mix of clutches, that will tell you if he is truly het. Good luck though!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
snakesRkewl
I would repeat the original pairing again, I can see why you are so confused.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
RJK890
Quote:
Originally Posted by btbutler View Post
Do a repeat breeding of the Genetic Stripe poss het albino to the albino girl. Also breed the male to another albino or het and see if he is in fact a het. Depending on if you get a bunch of albinos from the mix of clutches, that will tell you if he is truly het. Good luck though!
I only have the one original Albino female that is able to breed this season, and she is being paired with our Albino BlackPastel, and Spider het TSK Ax. males this season.

I already have the female Albino from the 2010 season, and a group of 2011 DH Albino/G.Stripes from last season.

The 2010 female Albino will be the key to figuring out what happened in the 2010 season.
If she produces G.Stripes, then our G.Stripe male did in fact sire that clutch, and is a het Albino.
If she does not produce any G.Stripes, then there was no sire to the 2010 clutch, and our female Albino asexually produced herself in the 2010 season.

The 2010 female Albino should be up to breeding size in Jan.-Feb. 2013.
I am planning to pair her with the G.Stripe male, in order to increase the odds of hitting a G.Stripe in the clutch, and figuring this all out.

If I breed her to the G.Stripe male and get either an Albino or a G.Stripe in the clutch it will confirm him as the sire of the 2010 clutch, and them both as hets.
If there are no Albinos or G.Stripes in that clutch it would pretty much confirm him to not be the sire of the 2010 clutch, and neither of them to be hets.
However, their offspring would still be 100%DH Albino/G.Stripe.

On the other hand, I could pair her with a DH Albino/G.Stripe male, and at least make Albino 50%het G.Stripes, and 100%het Albino/50%het G.Stripes.
If a G.Stripe were to be produced in that pairing, it would also confirm our G.Stripe male to be the sire of the 2010 clutch, and he and the 2010 female Albino to be hets.

Which male would you breed to the 2010 female Albino, the male G.Stripe that may or may not be het Albino, or a 100%DH Albino/G.Stripe ?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
radera5
I would do the original pairing first. It's better to try and get answers to long awaited questions then to make some poss. double hets in my opinion. Good luck either way you go with this.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
RJK890
Quote:
Originally Posted by radera5 View Post
I would do the original pairing first. It's better to try and get answers to long awaited questions then to make some poss. double hets in my opinion. Good luck either way you go with this.
The original female Albino is absolutely not het G.Stripe, so at best that pairing would produce DH Albino/G.Stripes, and possibly the Albino 100%het G.Stripes (if the G.Stripe male proves out to be het Albino.)
There would be no chance of producing any G.Stripes, or Albino G.Stripes.

The 2010 female Albino has the chance of being a 100%het G.Stripe (if the G.Stripe is a het Albino and did in fact sire the 2010 clutch.)

If I breed the G.Stripe male to the 2010 Albino female, I have the same chance to prove the G.Stripe out to be het Albino and produce an Albino het G.Stripe in that pairing as I would pairing him back to the original female Albino.

If the G.Stripe did sire the 2010 clutch, then the 2010 female Albino is also 100%het G.Stripe, and I would have the same odds of producing a G.Stripe het Albino, as I would at producing the Albino het G.Stripe.

I would also have a shot at producing an Albino Genetic Stripe with the 2010 female Albino, if it turns out the male G.Stripe is a het Albino and did sire the 2010 clutch.

If that pairing did not produce any G.Stripes or Albinos, and only produced DH Albino/G.Stripes, I think it would conclusively prove that the G.Stripe male did not sire the 2010 clutch, and that neither he, nor the Albino are het.

It would also mean that our Albino female did in fact asexually reproduce herself in the 2010 season, which although would be disappointing, would be pretty cool too.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
radera5
I should have worded my response differently.

I would rather answer questions that I already have then do a new pairing.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
garweft
Your trying to figure out if the male is het albino, so it doesn't matter which albino female you use. Might as well take the long shot on the albino stripe and breed him to his possible offspring.

What happened to the other offspring from the first breeding?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
RJK890
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
Your trying to figure out if the male is het albino, so it doesn't matter which albino female you use. Might as well take the long shot on the albino stripe and breed him to his possible offspring.

What happened to the other offspring from the first breeding?
Yeah, pairing him to any female Albino would help figure out if he is het Albino or not.
The 2010 female Albino just has the added chance of being het G.Stripe if he was the sire of that clutch. So if that pairing produced either an Albino or G.Stripe it would confirm him as the sire and them both as hets. If that were the outcome, there would also be a chance at hitting the Albino Stripe.

Unfortunately, we lost three of the four 2010 Albino hatchlings due to a power outage/heater malfunction.
From what I have been told, if all four of them were female, it would tip things more towards the female having asexually reproduced.
The other three were never sexed.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
garweft
They wouldn't necessarily need to be all be female. Snake are supposed to follow the ZW pattern of genetic sex determination. That being the female is the hetero ZW while the male is the homo ZZ form.

In this form of sexual determination both males and females can, and have, been produced during parthenogenic births.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!