Any tips on stuborn hatchlings? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
phoenix-cry
Any tips on stuborn hatchlings?

I have one hatchling (shed just over a week ago) that is not interested in eating. I have not tried live because I really want everyone on f/t, but if is the only way I'll break down and do live (at what point do you decide you have to try live?). I've tried doing the 'rat dance' with a warmed up and dry fuzzy, I've tried just laying in the tub overnight, and I've tried both of those only with a fuzzy that has the brain case opened up. Anything I'm missing?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Randy F
I start them all on live then after they have had a few meals I switch to ft. I find its easier because they can track them at their own level and feel safer. There's no right or wrong way to do it, just find what works for you then go from there. If you can't get it to eat try a live pinky.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
garweft
Patience and time.

3 weeks before a first meal isn't uncommon, especially when starting on F/T.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
phoenix-cry
Do you have trouble switching them to f/t after starting live? I have no problems offering live if it isn't going to spoil my chances with f/t.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
phoenix-cry
Okay, if three weeks is a fine time to wait I can wait and keep trying.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Snake-Queen
Have you heated it to 110 degrees? That worked for some of my stubborn boa babies. It might work.

I "rushed" the pink at the baby to make it seem like it was attacking, that worked on one.

Of course I have no experience with ball python babies, so these things might not work.

I think after 3 weeks or so, I would go with live & then try to switch over once it has eaten a few times.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix-cry View Post
Do you have trouble switching them to f/t after starting live? I have no problems offering live if it isn't going to spoil my chances with f/t.
It may take a few times to get it to switch, but it should.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Randy F
No I don't. I only have three or four off all my snakes that still only eat live. I have waited one a baby for weeks before it ate but I like to get them started as soon as I can

Old 08-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
hhmoore
I used to screw around with trying to start BPs on f/t (I still do with everything else I breed), but it's a lot easier to get them feeding consistently with live prey. Once they're taking food regularly, switching young snakes to f/t isn't that big a deal. (I defrost in water, then change to fresh hot water before feeding; so the prey is the right temp)

Old 08-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
phoenix-cry
All great tips! I think I'll just try live a few time and then switch over. Thanks all!

So 110 isn't too hot?! that sounds hot!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!