New breeding project - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:10 AM   #1
seaborder
New breeding project

I'm considering breeding a new species of lizard into the pet trade here are the two options
Broadheaded skinks
9-13 Inches
Clutch size 8-13
Kinda dull coloration
handleable

Six lined racerunners
7-9 Inches
Clutch size 1-8
More vibrant
Smaller so kinda hard to handle

So just let me know what you think would be more desirable
Thank you

Old 01-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
Socratic Monologue
Have you checked all the relevant laws in your state to be sure that you can possess, breed, and sell these species legally?

Old 01-27-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
seaborder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Have you checked all the relevant laws in your state to be sure that you can possess, breed, and sell these species legally?
Yes I have as long as I'm not catching more than 5 annually then it is legal

Old 01-27-2020, 03:49 PM   #4
Socratic Monologue
Yes, that's the regulation I was thinking of.

It seems that NC doesn't differentiate between WC and CB when it comes to possession of natives; you might be in violations of the possession limit when your breeding gets going.

Might be worth more investigation.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
seaborder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Yes, that's the regulation I was thinking of.

It seems that NC doesn't differentiate between WC and CB when it comes to possession of natives; you might be in violations of the possession limit when your breeding gets going.

Might be worth more investigation.
Well many people own green anoles which are native to hear also all you need to get the license is to just pay for one just like a fishing license

Old 01-27-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
elena
Also, possession limits don't answer the question of whether it is legal to sell native wildlife for profit in NC. Here in Illinois, you don't need a permit to possess native, non-endangered wildlife, but you do need a permit to sell.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #7
seaborder
People breed and sell corn snakes, rats snakes, and many other animals that live here and I'm doing my research but i'm really interested in what you think would make better pets

Old 01-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #8
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaborder View Post
Well many people own green anoles which are native to hear also all you need to get the license is to just pay for one just like a fishing license
Yes, I understand that NC has some licensing options.

Jacob, don't think anyone is trying to dissuade you from your plan. I'm sure not -- either sound like fun projects.

When you offer up animals for sale, though, especially for interstate shipping (not too many folks will pay money for CB when they can collect the same species themselves*) you open yourself -- and our whole hobby, really -- to increased scrutiny. It is best to cross your Ts and dot your Is before you get too involved in a project that might have some hurdles to jump.

On the question of which to breed, really only you can decide that. You might check to see if either of those species are the subject of many buyers' searches (websearch for "ISO *species name*), but you're not going to make any money from either, so keep the animals that you're attracted to.

*Yeah, someone will chime in here with a contradiction of this, but in general, my claim is true.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:07 PM   #9
seaborder
well thank you for your help i'm just trying to get involved with animals as soon as I can and also make money so i might need to come up with something else

Old 01-27-2020, 09:15 PM   #10
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaborder View Post
well thank you for your help i'm just trying to get involved with animals as soon as I can and also make money so i might need to come up with something else
Breeding reptiles is a profitable endeavor for fairly few people. Very knowledgable, experienced folks who are breeding high-dollar animals might see some profit. My reptile room is basically a room with a door on it into which I shovel cash.

Being involved with herps is very rewarding, but I would strongly suggest you back-burner any lucrative dreams you might have until you have a few years of hobby keeping under your belt and understand the costs involved in establishing even a small scale breeding program.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, lizards