do chameleons cough? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
elisab
Red face do chameleons cough?

Hey first time posting.This morning I thought i heard my senegal chameleon cough.Do they cough or is there somethong wrong with her?I have had 2 senegal chameleons for about 4 months.They both seem to be fine and gaining weight .The smaller one {laurel}was very skinny when we purchased them.The big one is {hardy}.I have a mesh cage with water dripper and live plants and sticks for climbing.It has daytime and nightime lights.I feed them crickets dusted with calcium powder.sometimes a grasshopper or two.please let me know if this is normal.thank you

Old 08-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
Dave W.
Howdy Elisa,

Healthy chameleons don't normally "cough". There are a few other noises that to come out of chameleons once in a while. One is kind of a "sneeze" sound and another sounds like a hiss. I don't know why my panther makes the sneeze sound but it will happen once in a while when I enter his room. It's like he's saying: "hey, wuz-up".

If your chameleon's "cough" sound doesn't happen again then no problem. If it continues to happen often then it is always possible that there is some kind of upper respiratory infection.

Don't panic but do keep an ear on things.

Dave Weldon

Old 08-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
JERM
Did it have a squeek to it at all or was it as if he was trying to clear his throat? My panthers will puff out air sometimes but it doesn't really sound like a cough. I have had treated a chameleon with a respiratory infection before and as it gets worse you will notice a squeek when they take a deep breath in, and also a lot of mucus will build up in their mouth. It might not be anything to worry about like Dave W. said, just keep an eye on them. What temperature are you keeping them at?

Jerm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!