kenneth Yates of South Carolina - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-16-2003, 11:14 AM   #11
JungleHabitats
thats what a siding scum does

sorry to hear about the deal ... first off you know the heat packs were crap .... the insulation board he used he had from his siding buisness thats in belly up status its used on the outside of a house before siding goes on ( im a contractor so that why i know that) it was totally not good to insulate tropical snakes #40,000 ft in a airplane esp with thos toe warmers he taped up in there . thepictures of boxes i hope those were his shipping boxes ? and i couldnt see how any of the missing snakes could escape those . He said he paid someone to pack the animals ... well either they have the missing ones or there never were any to ship. Ken yates is a scumbag if there ever was one. he should be stoned by the people he has ripped off plain and simple .and as the other two posts stated if he shipped delta then i dont think there would have been muc a issue with dead cold snakes . but it sounds like maybe they were overnighted ? if thats the case if you file a lawsuit you then will have one filed against you im sure for knowingly receiving venomous via overnight carriers . hope thats not the case as if so its one more BIG strike on trying to get the overnight services legal for shipments of snakes ... what a fiasco this would be . please clear up the shipping method for us all as thats a big question here .
hope the scumbag makes right on this but i highly doubt he will ....

Old 12-16-2003, 06:21 PM   #12
oreganus
Lightbulb They were shipped Delta...

BUt just because they are in a controlled temprature before they leave and when they arrive, doesn't mean they aren't in the cold weather on the way to the plane, on the plane, ect. The reason you see me emailing my address is because he has to have that to put on the airbill. Anyone that ships with delta knows they require an address. Thanks for all the nice posts.
kevin smith

Old 12-16-2003, 06:37 PM   #13
oreganus
Lightbulb Here is an idea...

anyone that has had problems with this guy, please email me. Let's end this guys ability to sell animals and rip people off.
Thanks
Kevin Smith

Old 12-16-2003, 06:46 PM   #14
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Thanks. I've not shipped Delta before. I've not shipped at all. So I did not know he needed your street address for the air-bill. I am considering and investigating what will be required if I do attempt to ship.

Thanks for answering the question. And Thanks for not using an overnight service~ Sorry your snakes were missing and dead. Thats a LOT of money, I hope you can recover some of it!

Good Luck!

Old 12-16-2003, 08:32 PM   #15
diamondback1
I worked for Delta years ago in the Northeast and usually ALL shipments were left in the loading area which was subject to the temperatures outside weather very hot or cold. So the possibility of an animal being dead with the crappy packing as these snakes were is a definite possibility.

Old 12-17-2003, 02:20 AM   #16
Rob @ RK Reptiles
First off I am sorry that the animals perished. It is a sad thing when it happens at all. Delta has the guarantee for the animals so have you filed your claim with them about the dead ones? I am not saying that Ken is not responsible for the poor packing job but Delta is responsible as well for the dead animals.

Old 12-17-2003, 08:36 AM   #17
The BoidSmith
Shipping in cold weather always entails risk. The final decision is in the hands of the shipper to check if it's reasonably safe or not to ship. The buyer should also be flexible enough that if he sees temperatures are borderline with freezing, he may ask for the shipment to be postponed until the weather breaks. There is no snakes you need that badly as to risk their lives shipping them in inclement weather.

Old 12-17-2003, 12:25 PM   #18
ElapsMan
Kevin, sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you already notified Delta to file a claim in case Ken does not make good on the dead snakes. There is a time limit, so if you did not do so yet, notify Delta ASAP. Ken may not be required to pay you for dead snakes, but Delta is required to. It looks like Delta may have left them on a cold loading dock too long, which would not be Ken's fault, so file a claim ASAP
Best of luck
Fred Stano

Old 12-17-2003, 05:37 PM   #19
ms_terese
So sorry to hear of the loss.

What was the duration of the flight time? I'm asking because 2 years ago my husband and I left town for 3 days over New Year's. There was an electrical failure in our neighborhood, and the inside of our home was well below freezing when we got home. After speaking to neighbors, we learned that the power had gone out about 3 hours after we left, so our snakes had been exposed to extreme cold for more than 24 hours, but they didn't die. Are mambas more sensitive to temps than boas or pythons?

Old 12-17-2003, 06:53 PM   #20
Neil Gubitz
Sorry guys, but I have to disagree with you.... even though it might be Delta's responsibility, it is certainly NOT Delta's FAULT that the snakes were DOA.... This part of the problem falls directly on Ken Yates!.... If the box was packed PROPERLY, there should have been no reason why those poor snakes should have died.... heck, I can ship a dart frog to Minnesota in the middle of the winter and I will guarantee that it will get there nice and cozy warm!....

In the winter months, you should put NO airholes in the outer box what-so-ever.... you should seal every exposed outer edge of the box with tape so NO air gets in or out.... you should use TWO 40-hour heatpacks in a 1/2"-3/4" styrofoam-lined inner box, with massive amounts of shredded newspaper as packing material.... if you follow this scenario, you will NEVER have an animal arrive DOA.... I've sent hundreds and hundreds of packages out during the winter months and have NEVER EVER had a DOA (using my packing method)....

If Ken used the proper styro, the proper heatpacks, and the proper packing material, we wouldn't be having this discussion....

As far as Delta goes.... I am a verified shipper with Delta, and I've shipped out 4 large boxes of animals in the last 2 months.... I have been told that they have a special heated room in the terminals for animals, they go in a heated cargo area in the plane made especially for animals, and then a heated room at their destination.... I doubt very much that they're left on the tarmac for a while in transit because a lot of these crates are just that, CRATES with large airholes and NO heating elements inside.... Delta would be foolish to jeopardize the health of the animals since they KNOW they are responsible for their care.... they wouldn't have any business left....

This whole catastrophy falls flatly on Ken Yates' shoulders.... It all boils down to a total lack of shipping knowledge and compassion for the animals...

Not to mention the outright THEFT he did to Upstate Exotics!!

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Neil

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!