Lucky, the rescued Savannah Monitor. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
TheFragginDragon
Lucky, the rescued Savannah Monitor.

Back two weekends ago a good friend contacted me through another forum I frequent concerning what a friend of hers had found on the dirt road in front of her house. What she found turned out to be a (seemingly) dumped off Savannah monitor, about 3 ft long, and severely dehydrated.

I offered to take him in and try my best to rehab. He's currently on oral and IM injectable antibiotics, plus a liver disease medication. Instead of retelling the whole story, you can read the full history here: http://www.michiganpets.net/this-help-t645.html

It just makes my blood boil to think that someone could actually dump a living creature like this, let alone one so beautiful and dog tame. The nights have been dropping into the 30's and 40's over the past month, and it was obvious that this jerk knew full well what would happen to Lucky.

I just wanted to show some pics of him. He is an absolute joy to work with, and I do believe what we would call 'a keeper'

Old 10-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
oh John, you are doing such a great thing for that guy * who looks marvelous to boot!!* And Seriously it boils my blood too! how EVIL to just toss an animal like this. one that you KNOW will die in the cold weather.

GRRR!

Keep us updated, what a cool bugger he is! you ROCK!!!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
TheFragginDragon
Thanks Alicia, I really appreciate that!

Lucky continues to improve, his activity level has increased dramatically and is eating solid food (f/t hopper mice for now, but I will integrate superworms soon) every day. Looks like the antibiotics and liver meds are working as advertised! Won't hold still for his soaks anymore, instead he wants to explore . And he greets me at his window when I get home from work too!

Pics from today, bath time and feeding time. Thanks for looking!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
MiIguanaLvr
Awesome John!!! It never ceases to amaze me what people will do to helpless animals. I have been involved in Boxer Rescue for 10 years and what I have learned is that MANY PEOPLE SUCK!

Good job on Lucky.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
TheFragginDragon
Thanks Beth! I've got a follow up appt on 11/8 so another blood work-up can be done. Hopefully it will come out AOK!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
Cat_72
Well, it says I have to log in or register to read the whole story over at the link you posted...

But it doesn't matter, I can see what a wonderful job you've done with this guy! Good for you John!!

I see you said that's he's on a liver diesease med, does he have an actual liver disease that is going to require treatment continously, or is it something that's "fixable"?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
TheFragginDragon
Thanks Cat! I'm hoping that the Denamarin will help with his liver's cell regeneration enough so that he'll be off it after a time. Should have a good idea once the follow-up blood work gets back from the lab. On his initial work, his SGOT (Serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) was at a toxic level of 488 IU/L (the normal level is 30~150)!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
drake1322
dragon. you seem good with savs. I just got one on 11/2/08. the pet store i got him from just got him on the first. he was starved and dehydrated. they said it was from shipping.(they got him from and auction) ive been soaking and misting him. ive also opened its mouth and gave him some monitor food from a can. he's gotten fatter. thats not the problem though he wont eat it on his own. plus he wont open his eyes. he'll walk on my bed and open them for a few seconds the closes them. can you help me. contact me at drake1322@yahoo.com. please and thank you. Jared.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
TheFragginDragon
Hey Jared,

Thanks for the comp, but I have only been as good as the vet guidance given to me by the local exotic animal clinic. If it wasn't for their diagnosis and the meds they prescribed, Lucky would have been lost. I'll PM you to answer any questions you have, but beyond that, a vet will be your best bet!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:52 AM   #10
Cat_72
Any word back yet on the labwork John?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!