Ball Python Question, Please help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:19 PM   #1
Nate's Snakes
Question Ball Python Question, Please help

I have several Ball Pythons and am getting into breeding. My female yearling has been opening her Cloacal cover. Im not realy seeing anything protruding but I dont know if this is normal. My questions are " Is she in heat? or is she a he?" She seems to have a slender longer tail, so I am pretty sure is is a she. If it's not normal, can I do something about it (I want her to be safe as possible)? She is around 300-400g and is just now coming out of a month long burmation. I have one other female that is a year older but she is really shy and only eats fuzzy's, and I have never seen her do this. This is the first year I have put them into burmation. When I say burmation, I only meen I lowered the night temps and day light hours. I also didnt feed them for abut 5 weeks. The first time I noticed her do this is when I put her in with a 500g male. I only put her in ther to clean her cage. I took her out after 30min or so, and she is still doing it. If you can help with this, please contact me.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:25 PM   #2
evansnakes
It could be any one of a number of reasons. Why would you cool a female that small? She is nowhere near being ready to breed. You cycled her and put a male in with her? What for?

Old 12-02-2004, 10:09 PM   #3
Nate's Snakes
Breeding

Well, I was under the impression that I was supposed to do it every year. Should I wait till the winter right before breeding? So its not dangerous that she is lifting it? I wasnt trying to breed her, I didnt think that it was a problem to put her in a cage with a male at that age. There is still much I have to learn, I know this. That is why I am posting this. Should I worry about her? Is it best just to wait till she 1000g+ to chill her?

Thank you for your reply!

Old 12-02-2004, 11:47 PM   #4
evansnakes
There is no reason to cycle it unless you plan to breed it. You cycled it and then put it in with a male. You must have thought it may be bred. Anyway, you cool females that are 1500+ grams typically, for breeding. Your female may have damaged or sore tissue in the vent from being bred before she is mature. She may have an infection. She may have some waste that she can not pass.

Old 12-03-2004, 12:48 AM   #5
Nate's Snakes
Breeding

Well, I dont think she was in long enough but its possible. What should I look for? I had no idea that that could happen. I thought they had to be a 1000g+ for them to even be willing or wanted. Is there any reason she would have opened it herself? Should I try putting her in water for a little while to clean out or help pass anything that could be lodged in there. I want her to be okay.

Thanks for your help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!