Swollen Hips/Failure to Thrive in Crestie Hatchling - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
Agoralyx
Question Swollen Hips/Failure to Thrive in Crestie Hatchling

First, background. This hatchling's name is Chernobyl. Because it's been a disaster zone from hatching onwards.

Chernobyl hatched weighing 1.2 g on 12/08/14 after incubating 87 days. Clutchmate developed to full term but was never able to pip (cut open the egg 10 days later and the baby was already deceased).

Since hatching, the gecko has gained less than half a gram despite active and consistent eating habits. Every single shed has been a nightmare, resulting in multiple stuck toes and many hours of assistance with olive oil and Q-tips. I had mentally resigned myself that this little one was just going to be "special", and would likely stay with me for the duration of it's life. During my last round of feeding, I noticed that it now appears to have swollen hips. My knee jerk impression is that it looks almost like hip dysplasia. Mobility doesn't seem to be affected, the gecko is active, responsive and still very capable of climbing/jumping.

Chernobyl is housed in exactly the same environment and with the same husbandry practices as all of my hatchlings. Shoe box enclosure (I attached a picture below), 75 F daylight temp which drops to 69 F over night. Babies are fed Pangea CGD 3 days a week (allowed to sit in their cage until removed for next feeding), and are introduced to dusted Dubias once they hit 3g (which Chernobyl hasn't hit, so no insects yet).

I've had a couple of rescue Cresties with MBD, and while the swollen hips sort of reminds me of it, I get the feeling that something else is going on. Anyone have any experience with similar failure to thrive with their hatchlings? (And yes, the baby will be seeing a vet if no improvement is observed or if symptoms worsen).
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!