Guinea pig - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Stardust
Guinea pig

OK, here is the story. My 14 year old daughter Kelly just got a guinea pig, I let her have it as she does take good care of her king snake and helps out with other animals as well as getting good grades.
Now my 11 year old daughter Lindsay feels that she too deserves one. Sooo, I told her she needs to reseach and ask and answer questions AND write up a care sheet for guinea pigs.
I have started this thread for her. She can introduce herself and ask and be asked questions. When she is done with her caresheet she can post it here

I figure this is the safest way for her, at her age to be on this forum for now.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
Stardust
About me

Hi my name is Lindsay and I want a Guinea Pigs so I will tell you a little bit about me, OK I am a straight A student but I got one B, I love sports especially basketball, I will help my mom out with our animals when she needs it, I don't really get scared of the reptiles I am ok with rats though I'm not fond of them.
when I grow up I either want to be an Archaeologist or a Sergent and I'm kind of leaning in towards a Veterinarian too. I love working with animals most animals or fine with me. I am going to take baby-sitting lessons and C.P.R so I can be more responsible and make my own money and learn how to save money.
So far I have looked up what the eat and stuff they like playing with. So if you have any questions for me feel free to ask me and I will be happy to research or if I know it off the bat i will answer it for you, and so I can learn more about them I might ask you so If you have had any experience with them please tell me and I will try to find out as much as I can.
Thank You

Old 04-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
KelliH
You sound like a great kid, Lindsey! I used to keep a few guinea pigs myself. What sort of cage are you planning on keeping yours in?

Old 04-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Dragondad
Ok Lindsay what is the mininum size cage you will need to have for an adult guinea pig? And what food do they eat?

Old 04-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Lucille
Lindsay, there is something called grid and coroplast which allows a larger piggy cage at very modest expense. I have extra grids, if you get your piggy, ask mom if she will let me send you my extra grids so you can build a big cage.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #6
Stardust
about the Guinea Pig

Well so far my sister has a cage for hers so I will put it in there so they can have someone to play with while we are out and the wont fight because they will know each other so they will be used to one another. Some food they eat is They love fruits and vegetables like berries,strawberries,greens,plums,apples,parsley,s weetpeppers,grass,broccoli,oats,clover,oranges,car rots,tomatoes,grapes,cherries,and Romain tomatoes. In our cage we have a little hide out a cup with a whole in the end and so he goes in one end and shoots out through the other end and he can do that a few times in a row.we are going to get him a ball. Our cage is steel are it is approximate size of the cage we have now is 2x3x2 heigh. I think I am responsible enough to have this because even though Kelly cleans the snake cage I have to feed him and get the mice out because she is scared of them, And even though it is her Guinea Pig he already like me better and I am better with animals. Ooohhh sorry if I do not respond to your questions right away my mom is already giving me extra time on the computer for this report.
Lucille (if I may call you that) I will ask my mom and she will be on later to tell you.
Dragondad I will have to look up what is the minimum size of the adult size Guinea Pig cage.
Oh and the Kelly's one is a boy and the person who she got it from told her that two boy will not fight after the first couple of days.
And I don't really care if he pees on my like my sister does because he is am animal that just goes where ever he is.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:09 AM   #7
lihairden
Here's a link I bookmarked that might be of use to you

http://www.guineapigcages.com/

This is another place that I was told has a lot of info on guinea pigs

http://www.guinealynx.com/

Old 04-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
Stardust
Thank you so much Lihairden I think this will help me a lot and my mom thinks I am determain to get this I work really hard on this.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
fuscusking13
I hate to be a killjoy, but I have to ask some questions myself. Why do you want the guinea pig...is it because your sister got one and you feel left out, or do you actually want the animal, because you want the animal. It seems you are fairly ready to handle the responsibility now, but these animals live for a few years. Do you think you will be as attentive to his needs in three years from now as you are today, or even beyond that? My advice is to be as sure your ready as possible, and never to rush in to anything(not that you are at all). The more prepared you are the happier you and the guinea pig will be. I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor!!!!!! Dan M.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
Lucille
Lindsay, another question: Guinea pigs take time, do you have the time to devote to their care? The cage has to be cleaned, and food given, and not only do you need to be sure that there is water in the water bottle, but you have to scrub the water bottle and food dishes to make sure they are clean.

If you use a grid and coroplast cage which I highly recommend, there is more space for your piggie but then more bedding is needed. I have tried different substrates and the one I am happy with now is a layer of Carefresh topped with a layer of aspen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!