Terri Sommella Fire and Ice Dragons -- Nightmare - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-12-2004, 09:14 PM   #21
FireDrake
WOW!!

I have had a little experience with Terri, I bought a trio of cresties from her last year. The male died en route, and Terri was so incredibly helpful and nice and understanding I couldnt believe it. We talked on the phone and kept in touch via email for a while. One thing, I did notice though was how enthusiastic she was about her animals. She was very gung ho about their health and how hers were the most healthy, even to go so far as telling me a popular breeder I will not name has coccidia running rampant in their beardies. I really got the feeling she loved all her animals, and they were her life.

I had a similar experience 4 years ago when I bought a Brazilian rainbow boa, he came tiny and not eating, I had his cage set up they way I researched it needed to- with damp moss. After a while when he still hadnt eaten I called the breeder and she yelled at me because she had never told me to use moss, and they snake was definately impacted by moss and to soak the snake twice a day. So, still being inexperienced I did, and the snake got a respiratory infection. Two vets later I had both problems solved and continued to keep moss in the cage with no problem for the next 4 years. I think some breeders get so into their animals, that, they dont think anyone else can do it right and resent other people giving advice.

Still it is no excuse to yell and then not hold to her guarantee. I'm sorry it happened, you still have a nice baby right? $500 is $400 more than I'd ever pay for a beardie but you have a eating growing baby still that you have to take care of.
Dunno, just my 2 cents.

Old 11-13-2004, 01:46 PM   #22
jnewsome26
Yeah, she's an eating growing baby. Her personality though has been troublesome. She still gapes, her belly darkens whenever we pick her up, and she always trys to run away when we hold her...and we hold her every other day! It upsets me to spend $500 for an animal that we specifically requested, and were assured would be calm and placid. Instead she doesn't like to be held and is nervous around us. But hey live and learn right?

Jonathan Newsome

Old 11-13-2004, 11:23 PM   #23
FireDrake
bad beardies

Yeah I dont blame you for being upset! Usually babies arent that aggressive, or at least calm down. Last year when I had baby dragons I interacted with then every single day. Though, I only had a few babies. If you have so many, it becomes impossible to tame them all down, and the fact is, all reptiles are born feral. This doesnt mean wanting to eat us when they hatch, but more along the lines of they could survive on their own from the egg and have wild little instincts to run from and/or defend against huge scary humans. Its up to us to get them used to humans early so they can turn into fat placid lumps of dragon (well thats how my two dragons are )

Old 11-14-2004, 11:36 PM   #24
Rockford
Not honoring a guarantee......sucks!!!

What a bummer.

Cheers to EBV getting her healthy. I have had awesome service from them since getting back into reptiles. The store hasn't changed since I was a kid. A bunch of good guys over there.

Good luck for your future purchases and with your current Dragon.

Bthacker

Old 11-15-2004, 04:40 AM   #25
stevet
Thats a terrible story and it sounds like a lousy dealer. EBV is outstanding and if they said you have a bad animal, you most likely do. I just was scammed myself and what I would do is send a certified letter so you know it was received with your intent clearly stated that you are sending her back on a certain day and demand a refund for purchase price, AND for the boarding costs of EBV since she did not take the baby back when you wanted to return her. If she balks on ANY of this, I would fly to Baltimore and file a claim in small claims court. You have to do this in person, BUT you can add your trips to baltimore for this purpose to the amount you are suing for. It is open and shut. keep all your emails and documentation. And, let her know your intent if she does not refund your purchase price AND the boarding, which is not cheap. If you take her to court, she will likely have to pay you a couple thousand when you add two tickets to baltimore, the 500, plus hotel cost in baltimore. if you need to fly your girlfriend out too as a witness for the second trip, then she'll have to pay this too. to prove you are serious, reserve a ticket and send her the printout showing your intent and how much it will cost. Its time to take all this scum to task and get them out of our hobby. Good luck and keep me posted. Do NOT roll over and take the loss.

Old 11-15-2004, 05:57 AM   #26
Lucille
This is not good advice. This is NOT an open and shut case. You have an eating growing baby. Its personality may be due to something you are doing, who knows, it is not prima facie the breeder's fault that the animal gapes.
There was an issue with a previous infection at your house. It is exceedingly difficult to prove that one infection did not beget another, hospitals know this as even though health care workers take measures to control infections, sometimes they are nonetheless transferred.
There were posts about heat levels in this thread. That will be a matter for proof; it is not an easy thing for either side to prove.
Print out this thread. Look at it, as if you were a dispassionate decided of fact with no special lizerd knowledge. There is some controversy about facts here, and you DO have a live lizard. I am not saying it is impossible to do anything here but it is a LONG way from being open and shut....

Old 11-15-2004, 12:19 PM   #27
Rockford
There is a guarantee that you can return the animal for any reason ....correct? If that is the case then this is an open and shut case in my opinion.

Bthacker

Old 11-15-2004, 02:33 PM   #28
stevet
With regards to the fact the baby is eating well now (i didnt get that far in the thread when i first replied!) you are correct. However, the intent of the guarantee was clear with regard to her ability to return the animal for any reason if unsatisfied, and that was clearly not allowed when the buyer expressed that desire. In this sense the situation is absolutely open and shut. With advice from friends and siblings who are lawyers and a judge, I am fairly certain this will be a very simple case if she still wants a refund. As I said, I am in another case myself with someone who simply stole money under a pseudonym on reptibid and tried to disappear. This case is even simpler! Good luck.

Old 11-15-2004, 02:43 PM   #29
Lucille
Because of the possible exposure to infectious disease as an intervening cause I do not see this as a simple case; and further do not think that advising people that the preparatory expenses may be allowed is a good thing unless you know you are going to win; especially for such a small case. Check with your judge and get back to me.

Old 11-15-2004, 02:53 PM   #30
Rockford
READ where the buyer replaced everything that the dragon was to be raised?!!!!!! EBV said they had a bad animal. What part of all that don't you understand? No case of infection here.

The lady had a guarantee that for any reason they would be able to return for a refund, now that guarantee has changed on her website. If you have a guarantee on animals you had better honor it. There is no evidence that the buyer did anything wrong like abusing a $500 dragon. Nobody in their right mind would shell out that kind of money and want to go through all the hassles that they went through.

Open and Shut. Seller should HONOR her guarantee or not have any guarantees like she doesn't now. Period.

Bthacker

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!