Bad Guy Beware of Jerry Kruse - Page 52 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #511
Focal
Understood.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #512
tim brophy
After reading Mitchell Mulks recent description of ZD and after reading what I could find about ZD on other forums, I have to wonder. Why would anyone desire to even keep this species? If, as stated, every zonata breeder ultimately experiences ZD, why even keep them when there are so many other tri-colors or even other mountain kings (e.g. pyromelana) which do not exhibit the disease? Granted, zonata are beautiful, but keeping them seems like heartache just waiting to happen. "Typhoid Mary" of snakes!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #513
Mitchell Mulks
Tim, that's the best question asked yet! Haha. Maybe because we're just gluttons for punishment. I agree with you wholeheartedly though. You bring up pyros, and as far as I know they don't have anything like this happen to them, and they're the sister species (taxonomically speaking) to zonata.

Mitch

Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #514
joecop
Mitch, I just finished reading your post and as you know, I agree with the theory here regarding zd. Hell, with my high school education and failed years of college, I am qualified big time. For the others here, I am one of the other zonata keepers that received animals from the same breeder as Jerry. I purchased five animals all together, several years ago, and to date THREE of the five have come down with what I think is ZD. I have fifty or so zonata in my collection and these three animals are the only animals that have shown this condition. I just discovered the third victim two days ago and am trying something different with him. The others I just put down in fear of the condition spreading. This animal has been moved to the oposite side of my house and placed into a highly ventilated cage (large critter keeper). The cool side is 68 degrees with a humid hide and water bowl. The hot side is 110 degrees!! The snake has been sitting on or right next to the hot spot for the last two days. He is still eating as well, but the lower half of his body is limp. We shall see what happens. Just thought I would add this to the post for people to see.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #515
Christina Vincent
Maybe a thread needs to be started by Jerry or Joe on this breeder they obtained tainted genes from (I read the majority think its viral but somethings naggin me about that especially tracing back to one stock). Lol. My point being if people aren't aware of this breeders history and continue to purchase and breed then sell offspring of said "infected" snakes isn't that eventually doom for the small zonata community? And while ZD *may *be a reason for return of Stu's snakes, its not really a place people looking for sound zonota info will find it (unless they're cruising this thread on the BOI)

Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #516
joecop
Christina, the breeder is no longer is business and it would be very hard to track down all the animals that were sold from his collection. He admitted to having this in his colony also, but did not think it could be spread to the rest of his collection. I am not saying this is where all the problems originated from, but find it cannot be a coincidence that these are the only animals I have in MY collection that have come down with this. I have already moved the remaining two animals from my snake room. Hopefully no other animals will come down with this crap.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #517
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post

Maybe it's just me, but the animal's scales in the photo above by Matthew just doesn't look as shiny as the later one taken by Stu. Matthew, when was that photo taken? You say it was the most recent pic, but that really doesn't tell us WHEN it was taken.

Would you mind taking another more recent pic showing the scales more clearly and in detail? Just for my own curiosity in this.
So where did Matthew (Mjay) wander off to? I think my question has suddenly become even more relevant to this discussion.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #518
WebSlave
Warning: Please recall that anonymous third party quotes are not welcome here. If someone has to ask WHO said something that is quoted, then THAT is an anonymous third party quote.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #519
jsrocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Vincent View Post
Ya caught that after sry, but why the 7? Seeing that 6 cost the OP $3100 it just didn't make sense to me. Guess its not the OP's comment so I should let it be. I just read that and was dumbfounded on it a minute lol.

3p on thrum d, bla d gat phe..

Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #520
TONY D
JoeC you discovered this animal's condition 2 days ago and the back portion of the body is already limp. Interesting that its progressed to that state so quickly. Stu how are yours (Jerry's) looking in this regard, any neuro issues or limpness?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!