Relocating wildlife (lots of photos) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
valleysnakeguy
Relocating wildlife (lots of photos)

So, a couple of friends from the Golden State Herp & Invert Club allowed me to join them last weekend in the efforts to relocate captured nuisance wildlife, specifically rattlesnakes - a total of 28 Northern Pacific's were captured in the month of July and relocated several miles outside the area, where they can roam freely with an abundant source of prey such as rodents & rabbits.

Anyway, here are some photos I'd like to share, comments are welcome!!!

Cal Mt King

Cal King

The officer who gets call-ins for these snake sightings decided to keep this rattler for educational purposes, he's a very dark specimen - almost helleri-looking.

This one's another holdback, due its interesting neck striping.

Inside bin #1:

Inside bin #2:

Inside bin #3:

Inside bin #4: (Notice the interesting pattern at the bottom-most rattlesnake in the image)

Another holdback:

Another darker individual:

Old 07-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
valleysnakeguy
more photos

The transferring job:

Sayin' goodby, enjoy freedom!

Taking refuge in a den:

And some found some comfortable shade on a hot day under a tree upon release:

Overall, it was a great experience! Thanks for lookin'!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
PyBoa1964
I think it is great what ya'll are doing Also, grrreat pictures! I have to ask, what kind of camera did you use for the pictures?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
valleysnakeguy
Thanks! It is a Nikon D5000.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
Helenthereef
My server's too slow to fully get all the photos but great job!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
LauraB
Bee-u-tiful shots! Bee-u-tiful snakes!

And a very worthwhile endeavor, a tip of my imaginary hat and thanks for watching out for the welfare of the animals, first and foremost. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
WJS Herps
Hi Prince -

Thanks for the great post, pictures and your efforts. It's nice to hear about conservation efforts for venomous. I love the pic of the one between the trees and the one that reared up in an s-curve!

Old 07-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
Tim Cole
Thumbs down

The intentions are all good but a proven death sentence for those rattlesnakes!

Studies have shown that rattlesnakes are very sensitive to their home range (about 1 mile) and taken out of that area the majority of them will not survive.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
iasc300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole View Post
The intentions are all good but a proven death sentence for those rattlesnakes!

Studies have shown that rattlesnakes are very sensitive to their home range (about 1 mile) and taken out of that area the majority of them will not survive.
Awesome pictures! I have read that too, but this is always better than leaving them around homes and people where their death sentence is also proven. Better the chance of moving them to a new uninhabited area than leaving them in populated areas.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
valleysnakeguy
I guess it's a lose/lose situation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!