waNT TO make sure nile has good size enlcosure - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
chris97
waNT TO make sure nile has good size enlcosure

Well Im planning on purchaseing a nile and to make sure Im well equipped for it and its happy I want to make sure it has a great enclosure no matter if i have to build it or have to pay some cash but at 13 im not quite thehandy man so i have saved up 350 to pay for a cage but if u have something close to that range please let me kow also if u have a list of detailed instructions to build one im more than happpy to put my best effort.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
TailsWithScales
Best rule of thumb is you want at least 3 foot of cage space for every one foot of monitor. That’s inside open cage space. From the top of the enclosure to the top of the substrate. A hatchling /juvenile can be housed in a 4’ long x 4’ deep x 4’ tall enclosure but that will not last long with proper care. That will last you about ............. 6 months if you're lucky. I keep my 3 foot Nile in a 6' long x 6' deep x 7' tall and he uses EVERY bit of that cage. Climbs, digs, all that. So be mindful that this is an animal that will get between 4-6 feet long!
There are cages you can buy that are that large but they're more then $350 usually. Large enclosures are timely to build and require a lot of materials. It will need to be sealed to prevent water leaking or rot from humidity and to avoid mold getting into the cracks, so forth and so on.

Also these guys have A LOT of requirements. High heat, high humidity, a lot of food, a lot of time and patience. This is something to be mindful of also.

I can provide cage designs and building instructions with some time to create them but you could probably just find them online to but I'm not sure. Do you know someone who is a contractor or carpenter??

Also be sure to check your state /city laws BEFORE you buy. Just to be on the safe side.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:37 AM   #3
suzuki4life
Let's hear what you had in mind and what you expected to build for $350.

I personally think that the money involved, you would be bette roff getting a different animal. Niles are more of a display animal than a pet and should only be kept by guys with real experience.

If you are dead set on a monitor....I have timors available which are smaller versions of a nile and for the right price I have a small ackie I can part with that is as close to a "pet" as monitors truly get.

Both are better ideas than a nile, baby or adult.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
TailsWithScales
I did not think of that before and agree with Gary 100%. Niles are an advanced species and rarely are they 'pets'. I wouldn't want my 13 year old (I don't have a child but just saying) owning a Nile monitor. And most sellers will not sell to someone under the age of 18. Just a heads up on that.

What is your experience with monitors???

Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
suzuki4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsWithScales View Post
I did not think of that before and agree with Gary 100%. Niles are an advanced species and rarely are they 'pets'. I wouldn't want my 13 year old (I don't have a child but just saying) owning a Nile monitor. And most sellers will not sell to someone under the age of 18. Just a heads up on that.

What is your experience with monitors???

I totally agree...my kids will have zero exposure to a nile directly and I have a 16 year old daughter, so a 13 year old is out of the question IMHO. But that is my opinion. To house a nile properly, one is looking at a huge semi arboreal and semi aquatic cage(basically its own room), a food bill that could reach $100/month depending on what you offer, and the heating bill beyond my means to provide. I personally would rather deal with an adult caiman than an adult nile.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
TailsWithScales
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki4life View Post
I totally agree...my kids will have zero exposure to a nile directly and I have a 16 year old daughter, so a 13 year old is out of the question IMHO. But that is my opinion. To house a nile properly, one is looking at a huge semi arboreal and semi aquatic cage(basically its own room), a food bill that could reach $100/month depending on what you offer, and the heating bill beyond my means to provide. I personally would rather deal with an adult caiman than an adult nile.
Exactly! I currently own 5 Niles. I have a lot of experience with this species because they really are a favorite. Just this species alone in caging takes up one bedroom, part of another bedroom and part of my garage in caging. And right now only 3 are adults. Those three, who one is 5 foot long, are who is taking up the garage space. Do you want to know what it costs me to feed them per month? Actually that wouldn't even be an accurate figure simply because I get a great deal on food because I've been buying from the same supplier for 4 years. But I can break it down to what the cost is on feeding a hatchling, Juvie, or adult for you if you want. Basically the bigger they are the more expensive they're going to be.

Another thing to be mindful of is just because a seller puts "handleable", "tame" or anything like that DOES NOT always mean that animal will be that way when it gets to you. Monitors have a strange way of changing personalities (so to speak) once they change ownership. Most Nile monitors do not like change either and the older they are sometimes it takes them seemingly even longer to acclimate (at times) then other species I've owned. I am NOT saying do not trust the seller and they're fibbing. I am saying what the animal may be for them may not be the same way for you.
What are you going to do, what will your parents say if you purchase a "tame" animal and upon receiving it and /or after acclimation the beastie turns out to be the exact opposite? What then?
It has happened. You can trust me on that.

I am not trying to ruin someone's sale or keep you from getting a monitor. I'm just trying to make things safer for all involved. I'm looking out for you, the seller, and the monitor. I'm also not meaning this offensively or rudely. Just want to help so I sincerely hope you're taking it that way.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
chris97
OKay thanks for giving me the heads up and I have had a savannah well still have him but i think should go with maybe a timor also u guys r great thank u verrry much.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
suzuki4life
show us some pics of your savannah setup...tell us about him/her.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
TailsWithScales
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris97 View Post
OKay thanks for giving me the heads up and I have had a savannah well still have him but i think should go with maybe a timor also u guys r great thank u verrry much.
I'm going to say that's a really wise decision to have a dwarf species.

Remember Timor monitors are from a tropical island. High humidity, lots of foliage in the cage, dirt substrate, climbing logs. Everyday feedings even as an adult.

I also love see pictures!

Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
suzuki4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsWithScales View Post
I'm going to say that's a really wise decision to have a dwarf species.

Remember Timor monitors are from a tropical island. High humidity, lots of foliage in the cage, dirt substrate, climbing logs. Everyday feedings even as an adult.

I also love see pictures!

Timors climb about as much as ackies....very similar husbandry if ytou think about it...

ambient above 75 degrees constantly but should not exceed mid 90's long term.

basking on a timor is slightly lower than ackies 130-145 range....ackies like hot 150+

4x2x2 or bigger is fine for either. Both will climb if given the chance.

IMHO ackies are the best choice for a dwarf monitor, period.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!