Need help tips and ideas quick for a dying asian water monitor - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
karoga1220
Unhappy Need help tips and ideas quick for a dying asian water monitor

Just got an Asian water monitor from someone who def doesn't need to own a reptile.. It is so skinny with no meat on it at all guaranteed upper respitory infection it's eyes are sealed shut and it's bubbling stuff out its mouth.. I really need ideas on what to do for it for now. I'm gonna get it to a vet tomorrow but any ideas for right now..? I saw somewhere theres something u can put on its eyes but can't find it anywhere anymore. So if you know of any helpful tips please let me know..

Old 04-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
JordanAng420
The only thing I can think of that might help at home, is to take him/her into the bathroom with you (or anyone) when you shower. The condensation and humidity can help with the upper respiratory/pneumonia like symptoms.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
hhmoore
While I can appreciate your intent, taking a sick animal that you aren't prepared for isn't really doing anybody any favors. From the description, it may well be too far gone for you to save...but if you want to keep it alive, the answer is in a four letter word. HEAT.
Of course, how you proceed will depend on whether the animal is capable of really thermoregulating....if not, he'll just bake under the heat until he dehydrates and dies; unless you are going to do it for him (which is really guesswork on how much time he can tolerate in the basking area or a cooler spot.
Keeping him hydrated will be important, so a container of water big enough for him to soak in is a good idea (don't let the water get cold!)

Old 04-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
karoga1220
Well I def have heat on him and a hide on the "cooler" end of the hot tank. The cooler end also has the water ( which is still very warm.) I went to purchase a snake and saw him laying in a cold room and pleaded with the girl to let me take him. If he had a chance at all he'd have it with me. He had no lighting at all and was ice cold. but yes it won't be easy but I'm willing to give it all I got to give him a fighting chance. Now for months on end when my sav monitor was sick I force fed him (using a syringe and squirting mash monitor food into his m

Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
karoga1220
Mouth and it got him through his super skinny under nourished months he ended up the happiest healthiest sav I ever saw. But I'm wondering what to give to this one

Old 04-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
geck123
monitors are tough as nails,so i wouldn't give up on him.i wish i would have seen this post earlier,before i give ideas how is it doing ?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!