Solomon Island Tree Boa Help! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
JPalomera11
No luck on the eating either (frogs were a no go), she is going to get relocated or euthanized which is ever seems more favorable to the vet she/he is going to be looked at.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
Bioteacher
Its a good looking Waigeo Island tree boa. Sorry to hear she is still not eating. Your best bet (I'm sure you may have tried already) is just to leave live feeder geckos in the tank. If you decide to relocate her... I'd love to give it a try to get her feeding. I keep several Candoia species.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
Helenthereef
She is a beauty.

My C bibroni bibroni use floor hides during the day and climb the branches at night, so not sure the up the tree enclosure is necessary, but interesting to know if she uses it.

Also I'd black out the back and sides to reduce visual disturbances so that she feels more secure in the tank.

Don't euthanise her unless she's suffering please - as "Bioteacher" says there are Candoia enthusiasts out there who would work with her I'm sure, and I've come across those who didn't eat for a year before..
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
Helenthereef
She doesn't look unduly thin to me either: these are slender snakes.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
JPalomera11
Yeah but ultimately it is not my decision. I am only a Laboratory Technician my professor runs the lab, so it's her decision. She opted to give me another month to get it a last go. When I attempted the nocturnal feeding, she was on her branches and rubber pipping. I may get black construction paper for her enclosure today and attempt it. As far as food geckos will be on my list now. Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #16
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPalomera11 View Post
Yeah but ultimately it is not my decision. I am only a Laboratory Technician my professor runs the lab, so it's her decision.
I get that - I was a lab tech once. However maybe introduce her to the thread and let her know there are people out there who would give the snake another option. I know at least 6 people on this forum who are into Candoia species and I can contact them if you're thinking of putting her up for adoption.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #17
Helenthereef
I have a technique that has worked on some of my more stubborn snakes, it depends on how she handles - it's not force feeding, it's an "assisted start". Works well with dead geckos.

Not something I'd normally suggest, but if the option is euthanasia it's worth a go.

Handle her for a while so that she's calm. GENTLY hold her behind her jaw (at the side of her head). Nudge her mouth GENTLY open with the nose of the gecko - as they have such a sloped "overbite" you can do this fairly easily by GENTLY pushing upward on her snout.

When her mouth opens put the gecko head about half way inside and hold it there. She will probably freeze. You freeze too. DO NOT attempt to force it down her throat!

Often after my snakes have felt/tasted it inside their mouth they start to eat it voluntarily.

Tips:get yourself into a comfortable position as you may have to hold still a while.

If she"gags' and wants to thrust it away let her, don't force it.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #18
Helenthereef
Any progress?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #19
JPalomera11
Not really, she is going to be given away to a student who is interested in helping her.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #20
Bioteacher
Better that she has the opportunity to try to be acclimated again before being euthanized. Hopefully the student will have some better luck

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!