Poisonous Snake Bites Man, Man Releases Snake Into Wild, Then Goes to Hospital - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
wcreptiles
Poisonous Snake Bites Man, Man Releases Snake Into Wild, Then Goes to Hospital

Quote:
Poisonous Snake Bites Man, Man Releases Snake Into Wild, Then Goes to Hospital
Wednesday, June 03, 2009

A Poolesville man bitten by a poisonous snake returned the snake to the wild before seeking medical attention.

Sam Pettengill found the snake the size of a pencil in his apartment at Kunzang Palyul Choling, a Buddhist temple, on Sunday and was bitten on the finger when he picked it up.

But before going to the hospital, 36-year-old Pettengill, who has been known to buy crickets and worms to set them free, prayed and released the snake in a grassy area.

David Srour of Shady Grove Adventist Hospital notes that most poisonous snake bite victims bring the snake with them — and the snake is usually dead.

A state Natural Resources expert told Pettengill it was almost certainly a copperhead, the only known poisonous snake in Montgomery County. After four rounds of antivenin, Pettengill is expected to return to the temple soon.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524942,00.html

Old 06-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
ForkedTung
Pretty standard Buddhist philosophy ( excepting the getting bit part...lol).

Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Seamus Haley
Someone should still have a talk with the guy about releasing crickets- and possibly the worms.

Unless he's buying indigenous crickets, which is pretty unlikely- he may feel he's doing something good for the crickets in question but he's doing something a hell of a lot less-good for everything that was already living where he released them. Pet store crickets aren't the same animals as wild crickets... and they often have a whole host of fun gut fauna to go along with them.

How much of a belief in peace and serenity does it take to justify ignorance that damages the local ecosystem, one small, bag full of crickets worth at a time?

Old 06-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
ForkedTung
Quote:
How much of a belief in peace and serenity does it take to justify ignorance that damages the local ecosystem
"the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry"

Old 06-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
greentreepythons
I have met Sam Pettengill at that Buddhist temple, Poolesville is next to Potomac in MD, and he is a very kind person with the best of intentions, so he means no harm by releasing foreign insects into our ecosystem. I can stop by and tell him to stop these seemingly 'good' actions to explain to him the local damage it causes. Blood worms and crickets from Africa most likely swarming with mites and parasites are things I don't want in my back yard where I sometimes take my snakes to sun out.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:22 AM   #6
Uroboros
How did he know the snake was poisonous?

Have they tried to eat them before?

lol, making fun of my own mistaking poisonous for venomous.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
ForkedTung
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentreepythons View Post
I have met Sam Pettengill at that Buddhist temple, Poolesville is next to Potomac in MD, and he is a very kind person with the best of intentions, so he means no harm by releasing foreign insects into our ecosystem. I can stop by and tell him to stop these seemingly 'good' actions to explain to him the local damage it causes. Blood worms and crickets from Africa most likely swarming with mites and parasites are things I don't want in my back yard where I sometimes take my snakes to sun out.
Great! give him a big "Namaste'" from Fauna!

Old 06-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboros View Post
How did he know the snake was poisonous?

Have they tried to eat them before?
My thoughts as well. It may have been the media that made that mistake.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Seamus Haley
Venoms are poisons.

A poison is any substance that, through chemical action, has a negative impact on living organisms.

A venom is just a very specific type of poison, being organic in nature and produced by a species that has a specific method of injecting it into other organisms.

All venoms are poisons, not all poisons are venoms. A venomous snake is a poisonous snake because it produces a poison. The more specific term is possibly a better one to use when it applies since it narrows things down more and gives a clearer understanding of what's involved but the broader term isn't actually inaccurate.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
Tim Cole
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley View Post
Venoms are poisons.

A poison is any substance that, through chemical action, has a negative impact on living organisms.

A venom is just a very specific type of poison, being organic in nature and produced by a species that has a specific method of injecting it into other organisms.

All venoms are poisons, not all poisons are venoms. A venomous snake is a poisonous snake because it produces a poison. The more specific term is possibly a better one to use when it applies since it narrows things down more and gives a clearer understanding of what's involved but the broader term isn't actually inaccurate.
I must have missed you at the last two VENOM CONFERENCES I attended.

Funny, that's NOT what the experts say.

I prefer to explain it this way.

A poison is a substance that is ingested.

Venom is injected.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!