Bad Guy Be wary of Boas and Balls (Rodent Factory) rodents. Parasites! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
simpsonke
Thumbs down Be wary of Boas and Balls (Rodent Factory) rodents. Parasites!

Rats I purchased there recently were not only dirty and smelly but infested with external parasites. The only offer of compensation was to refund the cost of any rats I returned still frozen in a sealed package. No refund or compensation for any shipping costs.

This was a lame excuse for a refund when I'm expected to pay the shipping both ways to get it. I already paid to get these poor quality rats shipped here and now I'm expected to pay to ship them back too. In my book this is as good as doing nothing.

The Rodent Factory (Boas and Balls) will definitely not be getting any more business from me.

I was told by a forum member that these are rat lice which makes sense because they seem to be very firmly attached to the hair. They don't even wash off in water.

Rat lice are not dangerous to the snakes but the treatments can be.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
simpsonke
Pics can be seen on my Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4101964&type=1

Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
simpsonke
That link is not working. Try this one:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4101964&type=3

Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
morph evolution
is this the same Lynn Kubic from Boas and Ball?

Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
morph evolution
and are they aware of this thread?

Old 02-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
Amelanistic Orca
Lice on Rats are no joke! They can affect all mammals and thrash through a colony if you had one at home like I did once. I had to put down 300 higher end Rodents one time to get it under control.

I was very upset at the place the Lice originated from. Cats and Dogs can tet them from the Rats. The Feline treatments to remedy are not cheap, and its not fun to rectify... Thank u for posting!

Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Amelanistic Orca
*get. Sick of my i5. Fwiw.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
snowgyre
Tom, I agree, lice on live rats are no joke. It is my understanding, however, that once frozen that the lice are dead? So although the lice may affect the condition of the rodents (and perhaps result in inferior feeders), I would presume that (dead) lice on frozen feeders would not harm the snakes or any mammals kept at the home?

Ken, as per BOI rules, can you please post any email/text exchanges you have made with Boas and Balls?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
simpsonke
Here is the email thread.

I have recently started to feed my snakes on the rats you sent me. Unfortunately, I have not been very happy with them. All the small rats appear to be covered in parasites (lice or fleas or something). The parasites are firmly attached to the hair and don't even come off when rinsed under a faucet? In addition, they are fairly dirty and reek of rodent excrement. Most of my Ball Pythons are refusing them. I weighed a bunch of the 10 packs of small rats and almost all of them are 500g (minimum weight). As a first time buyer of your feeders I am very disappointed with the quality of these, and I wonder how the Denver Zoo feels about parasite infested feeders?

sales@boasandballs.com
10/30/12
to me
I am very sorry about this. I have not had any other complaints from anyone. If you would like to send them back you can. They must come back frozen however.

Kenneth Simpson 10/31/12
I don't know what to do. I don't know where to get dry ice and don't have the shipping box anymore. Are you offering a full refund if I do sent them back?
I have attached a few pics I took.

sales@boasandballs.com
10/31/12
to me
I am very sorry. If you box them up and send them back I will give you a refund for anything in its original package that has not been defrosted. You should be able to find dry ice at your grocery store.

Kenneth Simpson <simpsonke.tx@gmail.com>
11/1/12
to sales
You will refund all unopened packages as well as all the shipping costs here and back?

sales@boasandballs.com
11/1/12
to me
no I will not refund the shipping cost.

11/2/12
to sales
So I'm out 70 bucks and don't have any rats. Never mind the aggravation and inconvenience of having to deal with this.
Seems to me since you are the one that sent me the infested rats you should be making this work, not just me.
Ken

11/10/12
to sales
That's it then? Your only offer to resolve this situation is for me to be out $70. You fully admit the problem but don't want to make it right?
I'll be sure to post my experience on the forums with my pictures if that's the best you can do.
Ken

sales@boasandballs.com
11/13/12
to me
I looked at the pics and I see a bug, I can't identify it. The rest of the stuff looks like bedding, and that would make sense since we gas them on aspen to absorb the sweat and pee.

11/15/12
to sales
That might have been bedding but all the bugs you see on the paper towel came off 2 small rats that had been washed under a hot water tap for a minute and then thawed. Bedding would not stick in the hair like that.

Kenneth Simpson 11/18/12
In case there was any doubt, I ran the hair of one of your small rats over a petri dish and put it under my sons $10 microscope. The attached are several pics of the many bugs that fell out of the hair. I don't think there is any question that these rats have a serious bug problem. The question is how will you make it right.
Ken

sales@boasandballs.com
11/19/12
to me
just send them back for a refund.

11/20/12
to sales
Again, I'm not sure why you think that is such a helpful solution. I still have to go through the hassle and expense of sending them back. No loss for u at all and I'm out $70 at least. If you really want to provide reasonable customer service then I think you need to do better than that?

Never hear back after that.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
Dbz4246
Hmm, I ordered from Lynn not too long ago and I didn't see a problem with the rats I have. My order seemed to be in Frozen Working order. Maybe this could be very recent?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
feeders, parasites