Aggressive young'n - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
whytepizza
Aggressive young'n

I have a young bearded dragon, about 4 or 5 months old, maybe younger. I got him with another baby. Conciquently, the other dragon died due to impactation he had aquired before my recieving him. He lost all bloodflow to his rear half and after a long struggle and losing one foot he died. Right before he died his brother/sister (the one i still have) started acting very aggressive. Any time i put my hand anywhere near the cage he opens his mouth and tries to bite it! i have to pick him up with gloves which he tries to tear apart with his little teeth and then squigles and squirms to the point where he's going to hurt himself. I keep trying to hand feed him and holding onto it so he realizes my hand is not a threat, but after few weeks of doing that it's not working.
I have recently found out that the breeder (private) i aquired them from had problems with other babies as well. One lost both back feet, the other lost its tail, one got so scared when being picked up it twisted itself and hit it's head on a wall causing internal bleeding (which apparently killed it), and a few other shedding/personality problems.
Any advice on calming down a dragon, or doing something that might help him to be handled more often would be greatly appreciated! If my fiance picks him up and it bites her he will be snakefood within the minute, and i don't want that to happen.
Please, any advice would be awesome!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Junkyard
Seems like the breeder was not too bright. Docile personalities can be breed through proper selection. You just have too deal with pain for a while until the dragon comes around. How often are you handling the dragon?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
whytepizza
right now i'm not handling him too ofter because he bit through my glove. He was fine when i first got him. He's handled maybe once a week before i feed my snakes. i pick him up with a glove and set him in a bare hand. A few times he bit my bare hand. Or, he'll sit there and then bolt away

Old 07-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Beardiepal
Boy , this is indeed unfortunate. I don't know what to tell you but to say good luck. I know I have always been told that frequent handling helps. And that do not try to pick him up from above-to move in from the side and scoop him up this way. I know my Leo was a very obstinate dragon, especially during puberty. He was so ferocious I was scared to death of him. But I finally just made it my mission to calm him down and I just went for it. I wore gardening gloves on both hands for a week and then took off one glove the following week. The 3rd week I was free of gloves but still very scared of his antics. I hope the best for you and him. Take care Beth

Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
Kite
Just out of curiosity, who did you purchase them from? My friend experienced something very similar with his satan dragon and I was just curious as to if it was the same breeder.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
Beardiepal
Hey Kite- He is a petstore dragon who is 6 years old now...if you have complaints on this breeder please post on the BOI...I have to say that my subsequent dragons were bought from some reputable breeders who stated that their care of their dragons included frequent handling...I know its hard...I really do know...but Leo has not opened his mouth, been wild, escaped the sliding doors etc for a long while. He finally, after about a year, learned to trust me. PM me. Take care B

Old 07-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
whytepizza
Thank you, Beardiepal, i will continue to give that a shot. I wasn't sure if what iw as doing was correct, but i was doing it regardless.
Yes, the breeder i aquired them from did not seem to bright. She reminded me of someone from the Soprano's (keep in mind she was from Jersey). anyway, she walked into a pet store i was working at in PA and was just unloading them. There were maybe 30 in a tupperware container, and none of them looked in good health. I took the one who was most alert (the one i have now), the one that seemed sweetest, and one that was nice but not overly sweet.
Guess my instinct about dragon personalities is off a little, lol.
Anyway, i hope he'll come around soon, i absolutely love dragons!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
Beardiepal
I wish you all the luck in the world...I love dragons too...Leo is now almost 6 years old and he is so much much better...perhaps yours, like you said has not been cared for prior to you getting him...and he will learn who loves him. Take good care and let us know how things are going....Beth

Old 08-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #9
leacam
I am having the same problem with my beardie, I have had him since July 4th and bought him as a baby. Everytime I try to touch him he runs and hisses at me, opens his mouth like he is going to bite me. I just want to get his trust because if he is acting this way as baby, what will he do as an adult if he doesnt get used to me now.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #10
citruslover
We've run across a couple of dragons with this extreme "fight or flight" response
and found that persistence and patience can calm the animal down. We try to handle, not catch, the dragon for as long as it will remain on our hand then it can jump away as it sees fit. The idea being to hold the dragon in the cage where it is comfortable with the option to flee. This will take a while. Grabbing it forcefully, or by the tail, will set efforts back so be gentle.

Getting the dragon to associate good things with being handled is the key. Warm baths with every handling, maybe an idea. Hand feeding (with gloves of course) can establish a good reaction over time also.

It seems that this kind of personality becomes visible in the first 2-3 months and can take just as long to mellow.

I'm sorry to hear about the 6 yr old grumpy dragon, it seems he's wired a little differently and has developed an instinct that he sees as needed.

Best of luck with the little biter, the last biter we had bit my wife and it took her longer than the dragon to get over it.

Jeff

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!