Cheeky African Grey - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
AllyV
Angry Cheeky African Grey

All day my african grey cheeks me. It calls me bawheed, heidbanger. Im getting upset.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:46 AM   #2
ladyserpent7
whats "cheeks me"?..like bite you?

Old 02-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
AllyV
He calls me names all the time.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Cat_72
He only can speak the words he's learned, it's not his fault.

Have you tried teaching him some nicer words?

Old 02-21-2007, 04:23 AM   #5
AllyV
He says really bad words. I tried to teach him to say oh what a lovely day. But he goes back to swearing at me again.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
Cat_72
The trick is to be repetitive. When he says a bad word, respond with a nice word, and keep it simple.

He doesn't know what he's actually saying. I worked at a pet shop YEARS ago, and there was a big beautiful grey that used to swear at me all of the time....often in Spanish for whatever reason. But at the same time, he was cuddling up to me for a treat. He didn't mean what he said.....LOL.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #7
AllyV
Im really struggling with my parrot now. Im so down about it

Old 03-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
Wolfy-hound
You have to remember that to your parrot it's just noise. It's not like he knows what he is saying is something you don't like. It's foolish to think so.
You have a fairly intelligent bird. Repeating the phrases you like will eventually get him to repeat those. Try ignoring the bad, while paying attention cheerfully when he uses any phrase you do like. When he gets attention for the stuff you like, he'll do more of it.
Wolfy

Old 11-23-2007, 11:20 PM   #9
Playnwifsnot
We had a bird stole from our store once, a rose breasted too...when we finally got it back, it swore up a storm(I remember it saying STF up while in its carrier). Our bird director took it home to where there was no foul language, and 5 months later the birds no longer said it. Birds remember things, but their brain is like a sponge, it can only hold so much info. Quit saying those words and your bird will also. When it says a bad word, ignore him, turn around and not face him, dont talk to him, just ignore him, when he makes a different call(different word or sound) turn around and say another word you want him/her to learn, and say it excitedly, say something like buttered toast! or something equally stupid, but the key is to be excited about the word. Over a few months your bird will pick up on what youre saying, and not the other words.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
Miss Tuniwha
the thing about swear words to a bird, is that when people say them.. they say them with a LOT of enthusiasm.

THAT is why birds love to say them.. One of my parrots says.. well.. when he tries to bite, he likes to say "OUCH.. DON'T BITE YOU LITTLE F***ER!!!!"

yes.. I taught him that. HA HA HA HA. He knows it coensides with biting, and I said it ONCE .. ONCE.. but used a LOT of enthusiasm.

so.. the trick is to say simple, happy things SUPER excitedly.. makes them more apt to wanting to repeat them.

so.. now, I got my guys laughing instead of some of the choice words they knew before I got them.

Laughing, saying I love you, pretty bird. peek a boo.. simple happy things .. just say them allll the time, say them REALLY , even obnoxiously happily.. and they will learn them, and choose to say them.

when he calls you bad names, reply very happily with I love you.

takes time.. but he will get it :P

you should take a video of him swearing.. everyone loves nasty mouthed birds.. LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!