Ackie and a Beardie??? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Monitors

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:31 AM   #31
PsychoBillyNiki
FYI. Im done. People have just assumed about a hypothetical question and gotten upset over nothing. I havent done anything or even plan on it. Im done. I did not come into this being offensive in any way. This is what Im referring to... One. I didnt plan to or do anything. Two. I didnt react defensively until people got upset at me and told me I was idiotic, for housing these animals together, which I obviously never had any intention of doing so. As for over reacting, that's total BS and you all know it. Youve ruined my reputation on this website and that is unfair. Plus wtf is this about an iguana, I never mentioned an iggy. Plus some of you have assumed(again) that my responses were directed
at certain people when it wasnt directed at them specifically. As for not liking peoples responses, how would you like it if you came here after seeing animals housed together that left you completely mind boggled just to see if it was possible? When people see that and come here they get yelled at as if they did it? Dont tell me Im the one in the wrong. You are the ones getting upset at me. Look at my original posts and see if I ever mentioned that I intended on housing them together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsfire39
And when you try to tell someone that what they are doing or planning on doing may be wrong or bad for the animal, then they get offended and have an attitude. That is what Niki has. An attitude. If she didn't overreact to everyone's posts, then this thread wouldn't have escalated the way it did.
All i said is that you should research the animals you want/have and that it was crazy to hear that an iguana and beardie were in a cage together and something like that should shock anyone. Then all of a sudden I get an attitude. If people want help, they shouldn't come on here with an immature attitude ready to fight the first person who's response they don't like
  Contact User Check User
Old 09-08-2006, 02:09 AM   #32
Kaa needs a wife
You know I just kind of Meticulously picked this thread apart reply by reply. I think what really happened is that:

1)Niki is pretty close to being coreect she got badgered for asking a question out of ignorance.

2)Alot of things you were blaming her for ie: Housing iguanas and beardies together was posted by someone else.

3) If I am wrong I am wrong. but in all reality all you guys need to chill the F out.

Asking a question before you commit to the act is not something to be crucified for. I don't think you will find a specific answer for the question can I house an Ackie with my beardie in any book. Yes it may be "common sense" but either way if you don't know you don't know. there is really no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer to it. If you fail to Give good advice to up - and - comers then eventually they will stop asking for it. and you may end up with a bigger mess. I would rather give someone a straight answer and leave it at that than see all this BS and years down the road people ending up like that store in NY that got raided by animal control.
Either because they didn't know or no longer cared.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:19 AM   #33
Watch_Your_Babies
Wow... you guys are nuts!

Old 09-08-2006, 02:23 AM   #34
Kaa needs a wife
Yes but I have the paperwork to prove it. Muahahahaha

Oh and I have one last thing to say. My final note on all of this

Old 09-08-2006, 07:33 AM   #35
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaa needs a wife
You know I just kind of Meticulously picked this thread apart reply by reply. I think what really happened is that:

1)Niki is pretty close to being coreect she got badgered for asking a question out of ignorance.

2)Alot of things you were blaming her for ie: Housing iguanas and beardies together was posted by someone else.

3) If I am wrong I am wrong. but in all reality all you guys need to chill the F out.

Asking a question before you commit to the act is not something to be crucified for. I don't think you will find a specific answer for the question can I house an Ackie with my beardie in any book. Yes it may be "common sense" but either way if you don't know you don't know. there is really no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer to it. If you fail to Give good advice to up - and - comers then eventually they will stop asking for it. and you may end up with a bigger mess. I would rather give someone a straight answer and leave it at that than see all this BS and years down the road people ending up like that store in NY that got raided by animal control.
Either because they didn't know or no longer cared.
Thank you, Jason. My sentiments exactly.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:52 AM   #36
Cat_72
One more quick note....

About housing more than one dragon in an enclosure. Sara, you keep saying that "everyone knows" that you cannot house more than one dragon together, or at least anyone who knows what they are doing knows that.....I'm supposing that none of these folks know what they are doing?

Quoted from Dachiu caresheet:

Quote:
Housing -
A hatchling up to 12 inches (ideally), should be kept in a 15 gallon tank. This will allow the lizard enough room to run around and exercise... and yet not have to run too far to catch its dinner. As the Dragon grows, so should its enclosure. I would recommend no smaller than a 55 gallon tank for one or two adult Bearded Dragons (M/F). This will allow each Bearded Dragon 'living-room', minimizing squabbles - yet encouraging their natural displays and interactions. I use a 4 ft (w) X 2 ft (d) X 2 ft (h) cage (eight sq.ft) for housing up to three adult dragons. Any additional dragons should be llowed approximately 4 sq.ft. of floor space per dragon. **
Quoted from AlphaDragonz caresheet:

Quote:
Housing

Having the right size enclosure for your bearded dragon is very important. The tank or enclosure should be big enough so that your dragon can grow and not be stressed. hatchling dragons can be housed in a 20 gallon tank for a short period of time depending on its growth rate. The minimum size enclosure for one subadult or adult bearded dragon is 48L X 24D X 18H. and for two dragons it is a minimum of 48L X 30D X 18H.
Quoted from Sunshine Dragons caresheet:

Quote:
Enclosures
Baby bearded dragons can be kept in small 20 gallon long tanks. Reptile tanks are usually wider and lower in height to give the maximum floor space. Juvenile (4 months or so) and adult dragons are very active and need larger enclosures to keep them happy and healthy. Once your dragon is 10-12 inches it really needs to move up to a bigger tank. The smallest size tank a juvenile or adult can be housed in is a 40 gallon breeder tank. A pair should be kept in a minimum 75 gallon tank.
These are just what I found in about 3 minutes of googling.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:49 AM   #37
dragonsfire39
Hey. Everyone has their own opinion. I myself feel that people need to show maturity with animals. They unfortunately are not able to take care of themselves and cannot tell you when you are doing something wrong. They cannot tell you if they are sick. It's up to everyone that owns an animal, no matter what it is to make sure they do the correct things for these animals. There are too many sick, injured, neglected and abused animals out there that need homes for people to just impulse buy and eventually create more. As I said before, it takes responsibility. As said from my vet, who has a lot of experience with exotics, "95% of people that own exotic animals (birds, reptiles, etc) have no idea how to actually take care of them"

If you are even considering an animal or already have one, it's up to you to make sure you are doing the right thing. There is far too much information out there to say you don't know. Granted, there are some places that you will find bad information, but it's called research. As for not knowing that a petstore will give you bad information. Think about it. Most of the people that work at many of these chain stores are highschool/college kids trying to make money for school. Do you really think that even 95% of them are experts or even have a general knowledge? I don't think so. It's fine to come on a forum and ask questions. But, a better way of doing things would be to ask for general information or places to get good caresheets on the animals Too many people are far too interested in just sticking random animals together just to have more without thinking of the risks on the animals.

As for Niki, if she wouldn't get so darn defensive since the very beginning, maybe other's wouldn't either. For example, go back to post #13. You know, I don't think that people should go easy on someone because they are young. She obviously is old enough to understand how to buy animals. But hey, I guess you can blame it on being young. Not being able to say hey, sorry, i was wrong. All I know is that if someone told me I was going to do/did something wrong that put my animals in jeopardy, I wouldn't get offended but try to fix it.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:05 AM   #38
Cat_72
Stefanie, I understand what you are saying, and do agree to some extent. However, she didn't get "defensive" and was carrying on a normal, inquisitive conversation until this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinet45
You can't even house beardies with other beardies, why would you want to kill it by putting it with a monitor??? it's not just stressful, it's fatal and stupid.
Do you even know that different animals carry differetn gut fauna that can be deadly to other species? Iguanas and beardies, beardies and ackies, GRRRR, why are you so lazy that you want to cut corners and risk your animal's lives?? 2 animals, 2 tanks, it's that simple.
And Sara's next post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinet45
Yea, in petstores or equally stupid people.
Regardless of what Niki (or the other poster, the one that actually asked about the Iguanas) originally asked, there was no excuse to automatically start lashing out at them, calling them lazy and stupid. I'd get pretty defensive as well.

Anyhoo......I'm not going to spend any more trying to talk about common courtesy here. My whole point is that trying to educate these folks makes a whole lot more sense than insulting them and assuming you know what their intentions are. If you really have the animals' best interest at heart, do you want to drive them away, or do you want them to learn the right way of doing things?

Old 09-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #39
Watch_Your_Babies
If this whole thread teaches anything it's don't make assumtions.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #40
dragonsfire39
Well, if Niki wanted to yell at a certain person, it would help if she would quote who she's talking to. When she just starts yelling, it's hard to tell who she's yelling at. I wouldn't mind helping someone, but sometimes, i'm sure you'd have to agree, that it does get frustrating to see the same questions over and over about sticking different animals together or how small of a cage you can put something in. I've been on different forums and it's always the same thing. Which is why I stress so much that people research the animals. I mean, you wouldn't buy a car without knowing what you're getting, or a house, or heck, even a meal at a restaurant. It's the same with an animal. It is a pet peeve of mine. I've had quite a few sick animals given to me. I can't stand seeing them suffer from someone not knowing how to take care of them.

If you want some sites with good information, then that'd be a great question to ask.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread