two different ways to achive 30gal - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
badevilcow
Arrow two different ways to achive 30gal

(as posted on kingsnake)
Greetings...

I did a search before asking.. so be nice.. my male ball python is growing up quick.. and he's about to outgrow his 15gallon.. now many web sites say (esp. the great melissa kapplan) that an adult can live in a 30 gallon.. Now I was looking at barrs cages. and I noticed that 30gallons can be 36x12x12(glass) or 24x24x12 (29.5gal)(barrs).. so is there a preference on how to get 30 gallons? The diagonal space in the 24x24x12 is greater.. so I'm leaning towards that..

basically.. should i got 36x12x12 or 24x24x12 (the later so far looks like it would work better in my apartment)

thanks alot everyone!
-badcow

Old 03-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by badevilcow
(as posted on kingsnake)
Greetings...

I did a search before asking.. so be nice.. my male ball python is growing up quick.. and he's about to outgrow his 15gallon.. now many web sites say (esp. the great melissa kapplan) that an adult can live in a 30 gallon.. Now I was looking at barrs cages. and I noticed that 30gallons can be 36x12x12(glass) or 24x24x12 (29.5gal)(barrs).. so is there a preference on how to get 30 gallons? The diagonal space in the 24x24x12 is greater.. so I'm leaning towards that..

basically.. should i got 36x12x12 or 24x24x12 (the later so far looks like it would work better in my apartment)

thanks alot everyone!
-badcow
I think you'll find that Melissa Kaplan's greatness is questioned by most people in the know. As far as cages for an adult, I would use a 3ft. A 2ft is just too small in my opinion. The Animal Plastics T3 is a good choice. I would pick a 36X24X12. Its just a better choice for what could be 20+ yrs of the snakes life. Good luck!

Old 03-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
just get a 40 gallon breeder from petco. an adult ball python can live quite comfortably in one of those. And theyre not so expensive as the other premade cages out there.

Since this is your only snake, ( im assuming here) then.. this honestly would be a better choice. Cheaper is not always better. and with all reptiles, Equipment can get pricy... so these things should be thought of before purchasing an animal.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
just get a 40 gallon breeder from petco. an adult ball python can live quite comfortably in one of those. And theyre not so expensive as the other premade cages out there.

Since this is your only snake, ( im assuming here) then.. this honestly would be a better choice. Cheaper is not always better. and with all reptiles, Equipment can get pricy... so these things should be thought of before purchasing an animal.
In my opinion, plastic caging is a far better choice for Ball Pythons then glass. While glass can be successfully used, it is harder to keep the proper heat and humidity. Plastic caging also provides more of the security that Ball Pythons want and need.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
badevilcow
yes, thanks for the replies... no. this is not my only snake.. or reptile.. i have a 12 year old leopard gecko.. and a beautiful 4 year old butter corn snake.. and yes.. i know supplies get expensive thank you very much.. i have all my tanks plugged into daylight on/off timers.. all lights on a thermostat and my UTH on a rheostat

so let me begin anew..

I want to get away from glass.. and go plastic.. money is not an issue at all, i simply want to know if a 24(l)x 24(w) x 12(h) or a 36(l)x12(l)x12(h) is a better way to get 30gal.. i can alway order the 36x24x12 but i've had some people tell me balls like a slightly less roomy cage.. if my ball out grows the cage i buy next , i'll just buy another one in the future

no need to tell me how expensive reptiles are.... just simply want to know if the community in large likex 24x24x12 or 36x12x12

thank you very much,
-badcow

Old 03-05-2007, 11:37 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
yes, thanks for the replies... no. this is not my only snake.. or reptile.. i have a 12 year old leopard gecko.. and a beautiful 4 year old butter corn snake.. and yes.. i know supplies get expensive thank you very much.. i have all my tanks plugged into daylight on/off timers.. all lights on a thermostat and my UTH on a rheostat

so let me begin anew..

I want to get away from glass.. and go plastic.. money is not an issue at all, i simply want to know if a 24(l)x 24(w) x 12(h) or a 36(l)x12(l)x12(h) is a better way to get 30gal.. i can alway order the 36x24x12 but i've had some people tell me balls like a slightly less roomy cage.. if my ball out grows the cage i buy next , i'll just buy another one in the future

no need to tell me how expensive reptiles are.... just simply want to know if the community in large likex 24x24x12 or 36x12x12

thank you very much,
-badcow

You could go with a 41Qt tubs.
You might even look into a rack idea if your planning on getting more animals too.

( i recommend the 40 Gallon breeder tanks for people who are only looking for a larger tank for one animal. So dont take it as an insult. I dont know you, or your experience with your animals, so really its just to cover the basics! ^_- )

Racks are fairly cheap as far as caging goes, and i use one i built out of melamine ( REALLY heavy stuff though :P ) It holds Nine 41QT tubs sideways and only cost about 140-150 to build ( Then add in Flexwatt and a Thermostat )

Maybe that is something you could look into *but shorter?*

Old 03-06-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Cat_72
A 24 X 24 area is not much room to be able to have an appropriate "warm end" and "cool end" for the snake to be able to thermoregulate properly. I think you would be bteer off with something that has some length to it, as opposed to diagonal distance(?).

Old 03-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
badevilcow
thanks for the answers... (and no i don't take the "just get a 40gal breeder" personally.. heck i'd say the same thing to someone I don't know )

well my thoughts about thermoreg would be this.. since the heat pad that is recommended is 6x11 that i would put it in diagonal.. i mean.. really even if i put it on one end it there would still be over a foot of non-belly-heat... less than 1/2 versus 1/3.... I figure the hot side would be around 88and the cool side around 82 which seems perfect

thanks!
-badcow

Old 03-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #9
badevilcow
yeah on second guess, i've really learned alot over time from you guys.. so i suspose i should just get a 36x24x12.. now.. you don't think this would be too big of a cage for a foot long ball?

thanks again,
Miles MacDonald

Old 03-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
yeah on second guess, i've really learned alot over time from you guys.. so i suspose i should just get a 36x24x12.. now.. you don't think this would be too big of a cage for a foot long ball?

thanks again,
Miles MacDonald
with two hides and a water bowl and maybe a branch or something it should be okay. Maybe even three hides for the time being? They do feel safer in the tubs, and theyre shorter, so its not as open, so they should feel pretty secure either way.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!