Received a dead Dwarf Caiman today :( - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Crocodilians

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
thenavarro
Received a dead Dwarf Caiman today :(

I've been so excited the last week after getting an opportunity to acquire a Caiman. I've built a canopy in the back yard and a fenced in enclosure and I dug a hole to put a small tank last night to house my new caiman. It came today, however, and it was dead on arrival. It was a gorgeous specimen otherwise. I knew it before I opened the box as you could smell the smell of a dead animal. Poor little guy probably had an awful trip as he came via USPS Priority Mail with no mention of Live animal on the box. I bet he was tossed and turned in every direction.

He was going to be the newest addition to my collection and my first crocodilian since college, about 13 years ago. Oh well, I"ve emailed the seller so hopefully it will be taken care of. I do have a husbandry question that I hope some one can address before the next one arrives. Can Sulcata tortoises and Caiman peacefully live together?? I've seen some tortoises and turtles living with crocodilians, but don't know about these particular species. If they can, I would like to house the two together. Any opinions??

Mike
  Contact User Check User
Old 09-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
bsharrah
Let us know if this guy makes it right. If he doesn't, you need to post this on the BOI. Sending the animal via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days) is unacceptable, irresponsible, and illegal.

Bart

Old 09-06-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
thenavarro
I'll keep the thread updated. I'm headed tomorrow out of state to see the Notre Dame vs. Penn State game this weekend, but I'll post when I return, whether or not he contacts me or makes it good. Still haven't heard from him at all.

Mike
  Contact User Check User
Old 09-07-2006, 12:31 AM   #4
christopher66
Boi

You really should consider posting this on the BOI with complete info on the seller .
I would think it slim that he will be getting back to you anytime soon.
Its unfortunate what you and especially the animal went through.
It needs to be brought to the publics attention.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
metamorphosis19_60
Definately post about that guy.You ain't going to hear from him.Have you noticed he suddenly went"Into hibernation"after the sale.Sorry to hear that happened to you Mike.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:29 PM   #6
snappergreg
as far as your husbandry question, yes you can keep torts with dwarf caiman. however, sulcutas tend to be a 'drier' tortise than what a caiman environment provides. i know the St Augustine alligator farm keeps redfoot and yellowfoot torts with their paleosuchus. i keep an eastern box in with mine- both ignore each other for the most part. hope your situation gets resolved and you get a caiman.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread