Info Backwater reptile (super snow) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #1
Cassie1214
Angry Backwater reptile (super snow)

So I ordered a super snow male leopard gecko for my female he was suppose to be a juvenile.. Instead I got a hatchling unknown sex it's way to early to tell I'm very disappointed as I was looking to start breeding by the end of July( if all went well) .. How has everyone else's expierence with backwater worked out? I emailed them but no reply I really don't want to pay to have this one shipped back and pay again to have another shipped out.. I'm definitely bummed. If anyone had any super snow males that won't cost me an arm and a leg please PM me!!

How big would you consider a hatchling or when would you consider a hatchling a juvenile?

Old 06-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
ElexisC
I've never purchased from them, their tos has scared many people away and those who buy usually didn't read their tos and find themselves screwed because they seem to do these things on purpose, just be happy you got it alive and healthy...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Old 06-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
jusmebabee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie1214 View Post
I was looking to start breeding by the end of July( if all went well)
Three week quarantine? Aren't you worried about disease especially coming from current seller??

Old 06-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
jusmebabee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie1214 View Post
So I ordered a super snow male leopard gecko for my female he was suppose to be a juvenile.. Instead I got a hatchling unknown sex it's way to early to tell I'm very disappointed as I was looking to start breeding by the end of July( if all went well) .. How has everyone else's expierence with backwater worked out? I emailed them but no reply I really don't want to pay to have this one shipped back and pay again to have another shipped out.. I'm definitely bummed. If anyone had any super snow males that won't cost me an arm and a leg please PM me!!

How big would you consider a hatchling or when would you consider a hatchling a juvenile?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmebabee View Post
Three week quarantine? Aren't you worried about disease especially coming from current seller??
My math was bad my apologies.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
nickolasanastasiou
Please post a photo of the animal. There is a broad range for what may qualify as a juvenile.

With the way leopard gecko seasons generally go in terms of yearly timing, you probably would not have been breeding until late winter/early spring if you brought the animal to size by that point.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #6
Kristi23
Most breeders can sex leopard geckos by 20 grams (sometimes males at 10-15 grams). I usually consider a juvie to be a few months old, but I'm sure it's different for every breeder.

Can you post a picture of the gecko and also the ad where you purchased from? Most people will sell as temp sex male (tsm) or temp sex female (tsf) until they can be visually sexed.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:31 PM   #7
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmebabee View Post
My math was bad my apologies.
Even with your bad math it still works out to two months, which is too short.

I'm guessing the OP did no research on the seller before the purchase.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #8
juliasara
Backwater has more bad reviews then I can count on my fingers and toes, and they don't produce anything they sell. You'll never know the hets the gecko you bought from them or where it came from. That doesn't mean it won't be a perfectly wonderful pet buy without knowing the genetic background id advise against breeding it. Backwater is a known drop-shipper which means in most cases they never even handle the animals.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
Cassie1214
I'm new to forums so bare with me.. I have a vet apt set up for another month from now to start the fecal sampling (my brother in law has gotten a few geckos from there with no problems they have all been healthy) I just assumed based off my brother in law they were a reputable breeder I was unaware that I wouldn't be getting any info about the gecko (hatch date/hets) my mistake for assuming. I've only been into leos for the past year and a half so I'm still very much learning new things and what to look for.. This was my first time purchasing over the Internet as well usually I have purchased from local breeders/expos and friends I have a few that breed. I'm going to do my best to attach a photo my expierence has always been a juvi is at least a few months old this guy to me looks like the size of the hatchling I got last year and I asked a few friends today and they all agreed but I'm curious what you more expierenced breeders think/ determine how old to consider a juvi to be or hatchling to be!
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #10
Cassie1214
Second picture
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeder, super snow