What can I house with Red Eye Tree Frogs? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 02-21-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
jeffatus
What can I house with Red Eye Tree Frogs?

I have 35 gallon tank, set up with plants, vines, and gravel. 25% of the bottom has three inches of water exposed (the land part is about an inch above the water line) and two small undergravel powerheads pump water through a hose to the other side of the tank to create a small waterfall (it helps to maintain high humidity and water flow for the biological filter). I have three Red Eye Tree frogs in tank and want to know if I can put anything else with them in the tank. I am thinking along the lines of a chameleon or green anole. They seem to have the same requirments as the tree frogs.

thanks for your help.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
DavidBeard
You can house other Red Eyed Tree Frogs with the ones you already have. Mixing species is definitely not a good idea....especially the species you mentioned.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
jeffatus
Well, its killing me, but I guess I can just leave the Red Eye Tree Frogs by themselves. I have a really cool setup with the tank, abundant plants and vines, waterfall and small water section. I really wanted to put some sort of a variety in there. Is there a water bound frog or newt I can put in there? Can you see I am stretching? Can anyone throw me a bone here?

thanks for your help

jeff

Old 03-03-2005, 02:50 AM   #4
Big Nasty
You could look into some Green Treefrogs. Their cheap, abundant, and you could use the same setup as your using now.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Devious_bunny
Hmmm, I still wouldnt mix frog species....personally i just dont think its whats best for either species. 34 gallons is VERY small for mixing species anyways, when you have 100g we can talk.

Your safest bet your be to put something in the water (I.e. A fish) I dont really understand how deep your water is? maybe some pics would help?

Stay away from gold fish, they produce too much waste.

Cleaner shrimp would be Exellent here! they are interesting to watch, they eat debris (and shrimp food) and they are realtivley cheap! maybe along with a few white cloud mountain minows (also known as mosquito fish, commonly available, and dont rquire a heater) you could have a nice variety.

PLease PLease, dont put anolies or chamelions in there. anolies are full of desieses and many are still wild caught, and your frog will likley catch whatever they have. plus chams and anolies are active in the day, and in a small space it will disturbe your frog who sleeps all day, and probbaly stress him to death.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:15 AM   #6
Frogger
I have had Anoles in my RETF set up and I have had no problems. But others have produced good points that you might want to consider as well. Mine Anoles where all captive breed (and I knew that for a fact) and so they didn't have any parasites or anything harmful. On the side note, your tank is fairly small for what you are planning to do... You need at least 5 gallons per frog, and it isn't uncommom for frogs to eat other small creatures (Anoles, Green tree Frogs) if they are hungry or if the happen to mistake them for food... Be very careful when you mix... Just a Thought.

Old 04-21-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
Xxviloncelloxx
I agree that mixing species is no good. In you case I would look into those lutino or xanthic ones.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:44 PM   #8
zebeck
I'm against mixing amphibians in small enclosures as well.
But a 100 - 200 gallon tank could safely accomodate a few different kinds of things if the biofiltration is good or serious routine maintenance is followed.

FWIW:
Quote:
also known as mosquito fish, commonly available
White Cloud Mountain Minnows (Tanichthys albonubes) are NOT Mosquito Fish (Gambusia sps) though in some cases i suppose these names might be used interchangebaly. They are not even thought to be closely related.
Both would however, have similar needs: cool water, high oxygen levels and as they are shoaling/schooling fish, large groups. Therefore neither of these is a good choice fo the water porton of a small vivarium.

A better choice might be an African Dwarf or Africanclawed frog if you could be sure a red eye wouldn't try to eat it (if you chose a dwarf).
Also the chemistry of your water would matter with that choice. Though very adaptable an ideal environment for Hymenochirus or Xenopus would involve hard, alakaline water.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!