Found a snake in the garage - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 03-27-2004, 04:16 PM   #1
Uffern
Found a snake in the garage

It is about two feet long, dark grey to black, splotchy dark grey and cream underside, and the inside of the mouth is pink. It has no distinctive marks, and an unremarkable, pill shaped head. I cannot find the drivers for my digicam so I dont have a pic to share. I live in Canton Georgia, in a wooded area with a stream nearby. I'm guessing it's just a garter snake, but I would like some other opinions. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-27-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
Mark and Aimee
Without a picture, it's really tough. But maybe you can match it up to a picture?

At this point, I am certainly hoping it is non-venomous. So here's a list of non-venomous found in Georgia.

Eastern Green Water Snake
Brown Water Snake
Red or Yellow-Bellied Water Snake
Banded Water Snake
Northern Water Snake
Banded Water Snake
Striped Crayfish Snake
Glossy Crayfish Snake
Black Swamp Snake
Brown Snake
Red-Bellied Snake
Eastern Ribbon Snake
Common Garter Snake
Smooth Earth Snake
Rough Earth Snake
Eastern Hognose Snake
Southern Hognose Snake
Ringneck Snake
Eastern Worm Snake
Pine Woods Snake
Mud Snake
Rainbow Snake
Racer
Coachwhip
Rough Green Snake
Corn Snake
Rat Snake
Pine Snake
Eastern/Black Kingsnake
Mole Kingsnake
Scarlet Kingsnake/Milk Snake
Scarlet Snake
Southeastern Crowned Snake
Eastern Indigo Snake
Central Florida Crowned Snake

These are the venomous snakes found in Georgia:

Copperhead
Pigmy Rattlesnake
Canebrake or Timber Rattlesnake
Cottonmouth
Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake
Eastern Coral Snake

I haven't touched on the exotic (introduced) species, or possibility of a lost/released pet. But... It's always a possibility.

Here's a link to a site with a lot of Florida snake photos. Wrong state, but there's a lot of overlap.

http://www.southalley.com/snakes.html

Old 03-27-2004, 07:30 PM   #3
Uffern
Thanks a lot for the link. After looking at the photos I have come to the conclusion that it is a Southern Black Racer.
Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:32 PM   #4
Mark and Aimee
Awesome! I'm glad to hear you figured out what it is. I am also relieved to hear it not a venomous species :-)

Old 03-28-2004, 01:35 AM   #5
odatria
Re: Found a snake in the garage

Quote:
Originally posted by Uffern
I cannot find the drivers for my digicam so I dont have a pic to share.
The good news is that all drivers for all digital cameras can be downloaded online for free. The first place I would like is the manufacturers website. They almos ALWAYS have downloads of their drivers available.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!