Silk Bearded Dragon care? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
geckofan91
Silk Bearded Dragon care?

Hello, I've done a lot of research on them and think I have the basic's down. But I was wanting to know from silk owners is, how often do you soak them? I heard that if you over soak it can dry their skin out. And do you use lotion? If so what kind and how often? It seems that shedding is the main concern with silks, and I want to make sure I know all I can. Thanks

Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
BaltimoreBees
I soak mine almost every other day and haven't had any issues with dry skin. She also is lotioned 1-3 times a month (I try to keep it no more than 2 however and I use Udderly Smooth Udder Cream- unscented). I try to spritz down her cage at the least once a day. I haven't had any shedding issues with her (only concern is her tail has almost half rings around it where it's indented, I've tried to see if it was dead skin but nothing came up after quite a few soaks). Hope this helps! Silkies are awesome!

Old 12-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
geckofan91
Thanks. I'm getting a red trans silk on Thursday. The breeder said he cares for silks the same as other beardies. Soaks 2 to 3 times a week. I've heard that misting the caged caused respiratory issues. Have you noticed anything like that? Here's a picture of him.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
BaltimoreBees
He's very nice! I've only had her since October but she is just awesome. She has been up, active, happy, and spoiled rotten since the day I got her Here's my little Phoenix dragon AKA Lizard Lips lol
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
geckofan91
She awesome. I love orange silks. The breeder of mine said he was really nice and friendly, so hopefully he likes to be handled and stuff. I've had dragons before that hated me lol But most people with silks I know say that they're really relaxed and chill. Hopefully mines like that

Old 01-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Ed Clark
You can maintain a silkie the same as a normal dragon and they will do fine.

I rub mine down with Udderly Smooth udder cream around once a week, it helps with shed skin,never pull the shed off of a silkie.

Soaking in water frequently is not good for a silkie as it will dry their skin out then it will sometimes start to crack.

I enjoy making high color silkies, heres a few to look at.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
DeMeNtEdDoGz
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckofan91 View Post
Thanks. I'm getting a red trans silk on Thursday. The breeder said he cares for silks the same as other beardies. Soaks 2 to 3 times a week. I've heard that misting the caged caused respiratory issues. Have you noticed anything like that? Here's a picture of him.
No you dont want to mist thier cages, keep an eye on humidity. too much moisture can result in various problems, most commonly URI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
You can maintain a silkie the same as a normal dragon and they will do fine.

I rub mine down with Udderly Smooth udder cream around once a week, it helps with shed skin,never pull the shed off of a silkie.

Soaking in water frequently is not good for a silkie as it will dry their skin out then it will sometimes start to crack.

I enjoy making high color silkies, heres a few to look at.
Nice Silkies

Silkbacks are not difficult to take care of some of the more common mistakes are over soaking and lack of lotion. I, like many, use udder cream on my silks and usually apply 1-2 times a week as needed. When they are actually shedding you will need to do more often.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
geckofan91
Thanks. Your silk is amazing. How many times should I soak him them?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckofan91 View Post
Thanks. Your silk is amazing. How many times should I soak him them?
A short soak around once a week is good, remember you are soaking to give him a drink not trying to remove shed skin. that's what the cream is for.the cream gives them a nice buff finish.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
geckofan91
Okay, I've been using unscented baby lotion. Is it okay or should I use the udderly smooth udder cream?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!