Bad Guy Steve Markevich/ Serpent's Den - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:02 PM   #51
LakesideBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideBoas View Post
Seraphim stated it much better than I did, Ed. They did not cause the "big mess" Steve did. I was stating that IF they turned off the heaters after they arrested Steve they would have been directly responsible for contributing to their health problems leading to their demise.

Personally I would have used the monies borrowed to purchase the generator to pay some of the back rent and electricity. A generator of the size to operate even a small business is moderately expensive, unless he got one from a buddy or something.
Seraphim=Southern Wolf (Sheesh, I must need even more coffee! Sorry about that!)

Old 10-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #52
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyFig View Post
I don't know Chris' email addy,
I will try to find it. He was a customer of mine a few years ago.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #53
LakesideBoas
Quote:
I don't know Chris' email addy, I only talk to him through AIM so if he comes on I Will direct him here. He is one of the only contacts, if not the only one in the area that deals with reptile rescues for animal control.

I don't recall the date of seizure, but it was not recent. Chris had those animals for a LONG time, and I know it was taking a toll financially.
He doesn't get any help for feeding and housing them? That kind of sucks!

Is he required to keep them as "evidence"? I ask as we recieved a stolen Boa at the shop I worked at and we had to keep it until the case went to court.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #54
DaveyFig
Quote:
Seraphim stated it much better than I did, Ed. They did not cause the "big mess" Steve did. I was stating that IF they turned off the heaters after they arrested Steve they would have been directly responsible for contributing to their health problems leading to their demise.

Personally I would have used the monies borrowed to purchase the generator to pay some of the back rent and electricity. A generator of the size to operate even a small business is moderately expensive, unless he got one from a buddy or something.
The high end animals were not left to die. Now, I'm not saying that high end animals deserve better treatment, just that SOMEONE made sure they didn't die there, but didn't take the rest. Someone went out of their way to protect investment animals, but left the others to whatever conditions they met later. You can't fault the police for that.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #55
DaveyFig
Quote:
He doesn't get any help for feeding and housing them? That kind of sucks!

Is he required to keep them as "evidence"? I ask as we recieved a stolen Boa at the shop I worked at and we had to keep it until the case went to court.
He was required to keep them for evidence, and as far as I know, got no help in the task. I don't know what changed that made him able to sell now (or whenever Steve saw ads), but I haven't seen the animals for sale myself.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #56
LakesideBoas
Quote:
The high end animals were not left to die. Now, I'm not saying that high end animals deserve better treatment, just that SOMEONE made sure they didn't die there, but didn't take the rest. Someone went out of their way to protect investment animals, but left the others to whatever conditions they met later. You can't fault the police for that.
I was under the impression that some animals were in the process of being moved before his arrest, so I did not bring that up as I thought it was apperent. His moving the "high-end" animals first is something I am not privy to so I would take Chris' word as to the evidence left behind.

Quote:
He was required to keep them for evidence, and as far as I know, got no help in the task. I don't know what changed that made him able to sell now (or whenever Steve saw ads), but I haven't seen the animals for sale myself.
I know once the court preceedings were over they gave us a waiver and deeded ownership of the animal to us so we could sell if if we so chose. She ended up living with me.

He may have requested a waiver to recoup the losses for feeding and housing them.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #57
3toe
from what i understand, he took the high end first [a whole day] with just a van. he was going to go back to get the rest, when the landlord locked the door, so he couldnt get back in.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:45 PM   #58
LakesideBoas
I have asked Steve to post here as neither I nor anyone else can tell his story, only he can do that.

If Chris does post then the two most directly involved will be able to prove or refute any discrepencies.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:47 PM   #59
FLTortoise
Unbiased Feedback

I have something to add to this thread that looks to support Steve. First, I will say I have no history with Steve whatsoever. Here goes. . .I live in FL and visited my hometown of Hazleton, PA this past April 2008. Hazleton is about 35 minutes from Leheighton. I had time to kill and always wanted to visit Serpent's Den due to my interest in keeping turtles and gila monsters which Steve has available most of the time.

I got his store address from an online source and I had recalled the smae address being in his online ads. I get to the store address to find the place empty except for some art and antiques inside- but hardly anything. I had Steve's number and called him from outside the store (he may remember the call). I asked him what happened to the store and he said he does everything online now to save on fixed costs. It is important to note that this was back in April 2008!!! So, from an unbiased fellow reptile keeper, this article appears grossly fabricated or was accurate but reflected a setup of some sort by the landlord or related accomplices. I walked into this store on Main St. that WAS the old place of business in April and there were no animals around. The guy inside was not helpful with respect to my inquiries to boot.

I could probably track down exact dates from my cell phone records if need be. Bottom line- this is a setup. You may judge Steve based on other business dealings one way or another but do not judge him based on this VERY suspect article and corresponding ramifications.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:59 PM   #60
Gecko_Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTortoise View Post
I have something to add to this thread that looks to support Steve. First, I will say I have no history with Steve whatsoever. Here goes. . .I live in FL and visited my hometown of Hazleton, PA this past April 2008. Hazleton is about 35 minutes from Leheighton. I had time to kill and always wanted to visit Serpent's Den due to my interest in keeping turtles and gila monsters which Steve has available most of the time.

I got his store address from an online source and I had recalled the smae address being in his online ads. I get to the store address to find the place empty except for some art and antiques inside- but hardly anything. I had Steve's number and called him from outside the store (he may remember the call). I asked him what happened to the store and he said he does everything online now to save on fixed costs. It is important to note that this was back in April 2008!!! So, from an unbiased fellow reptile keeper, this article appears grossly fabricated or was accurate but reflected a setup of some sort by the landlord or related accomplices. I walked into this store on Main St. that WAS the old place of business in April and there were no animals around. The guy inside was not helpful with respect to my inquiries to boot.

I could probably track down exact dates from my cell phone records if need be. Bottom line- this is a setup. You may judge Steve based on other business dealings one way or another but do not judge him based on this VERY suspect article and corresponding ramifications.
That's interesting. Steve's e-mail stated he was incarcerated from April 15-June 15. He also states that the store was operational until the 15th of April. So if you were there after the store was empty how were you able to call him if he was in jail, and how was he conducting business online, from jail?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
chris foley, eric musser, steve markevich