Creepy crawly cargo caught in Australia - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
JColt
Creepy crawly cargo caught in Australia

Australian customs officers got more than they bargained for when two shoe boxes arrived from Europe with venomous snakes, exotic spiders and scorpions found slithering inside the "creep crawly cargo".

The unusual discovery was made at Melbourne last month in two boxes marked shoes sent through the mail in a consignment identified as coming from northern Europe.

The parcel included six venomous vipers native to Southeast Asia, three ball pythons, nine large tarantulas from Mexico, Brazil and Colombia, plus Asian forest scorpions.

Australian Border Force officers, in a statement Tuesday headlined "Creepy crawly cargo", said it was a serious issue as they posed a high biosecurity risk because they can carry pests and diseases that aren’t present Down Under.

But the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources also saw the lighter side.

"This detection appears to be a clear attempt to get around the rules that are in place to protect us all," said Lyn O'Connell, a department official responsible for biosecurity.

"No spider is a match for our biosecurity web, we get our tails up when there are scorpions in the mail and if you try send exotic snakes beware if we find intentional non-compliance, we bite back with the full force of the law."

Investigations are continuing into the source of the shipment with officials believing they were destined for the black market, where live reptiles are in demand as pets.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...M95?li=BBnb7Kz

Old 04-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
blueboost68
Instead of killing them I am sure someone somewhere could have used them in a lecture or exhibit.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
Australia has very strict import standards and they will not allow unauthorized plant or animal matter across customs/post because it could introduce foreign pests/bacteria, they usually incinerate the items from what I understand. There was no way they would allow those animals into the country unauthorized regardless if they would/could be useful.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
blueboost68
I know but it is that way of thinking that hurts all life we being the human race if we don't understand it kill it. Conservative in general is great in practice but it falls so short. Australia is in fact very strict but to not try and find a way to save life is just a waste in my eyes.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:23 PM   #5
blueboost68
Thanks April I always enjoy your replies I wish more people would take the time to give there input.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:53 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
Yeah I agree, the waste of any life is still very sad.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:47 PM   #7
blueboost68
Definitely.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:47 AM   #8
Helenthereef
I agree, but the blame for their deaths falls squarely on the shoulders of the criminals who sent / would have received them, not the customs officials.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!