Karma - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Lucille
I see some new people here on the site who I feel are extraordinary in their thoughtful posts and the way that they involve themselves helping others.
And of course I do recognize that there are many who have been here for years that have achieved a reputation for being helpful.

I realize that those who have a history of not being very helpful at all should also be addressed.

I just feel as if the positive people should not rest on their laurels, and the negative people should be given an incentive to recover and do better.

I'm just one person, a small voice here, but I think that it would be nice if the karma system was zeroed out and reset every January 1, and the new year bring a more current evaluation of those members both positive and negative who post here on the site.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Dennis Hultman
I think it has been zeroed out at least four times already. I'm not opposed to your proposal but I don't think that it has been stagnate with those that have had negative karma. I've seen some improve dramatically without having to reset it.

I also don't think it hurts to shake things up every once in awhile and it may encourage some to post more. I don't think it is a bad idea but I don't know if every year would be necessary.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Durante
I'm not sure if everyone actually uses the karma option or uses it correctly anyway. I do try to use it to acknowledge a well written, helpful post just to let the submitter know it was appreciated but honestly I'm dont think the "karma ranking" isn't that big of a deal for people who are here for the right reasons. That's not to say they I dont serve some purpose. They definitely play a factor in my mind of who's advice I can put the greatest trust in. I found only takes a few weeks to see who is actually here for the love of animals & who is here to get a rise out of others.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
brd7666
If you think about it, Karma is really a useless feature, that many sites don't even have. Personally, I think they should get rid of it all together.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
hhmoore
I'm not in favor of yearly resets - why wipe the slate clean so easily, and in such a programmed manner? For the most part, people earn their karma, whether it is good or bad. If somebody repeatedly earns negative karma, those red boxes serve as a sort of identifier about his tendencies. People use that information however it may suit them - whether it be choosing not to do business with him, or merely choosing not to engage when instigating posts are made. If a person chooses to change his ways, positive karma can easily overtake (and overturn) negative...let that be the incentive. On the other side of things, why strip a positive influence of his/her karma? What is the purpose - other than leveling the playing field?
I'll agree that the resetting of karma tends to trigger an increased use of karma; but I don't know that it would do that long term if there were scheduled resets. I rather think that it would increase the "karma doesn't matter" attitude. We know it doesn't matter, in the way that tangible things matter - it is largely a feel good measure...a way of making a friendly gesture toward another member (negative karma is a different animal, which is why its application is limited) - but I think too frequent zeroing might be self defeating...leading to a why bother attitude.

Does the karma feature actually add anything positive to the site? I believe that it does, in that it does promote a feel good, complimentary type interaction/feedback. Is it a big deal? No, I probably wouldn't think twice about it if it wasn't here...but friendly interaction between people, and an easy means of showing appreciation (or sharing a laugh) is invaluable, IMO.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by brd7666 View Post
If you think about it, Karma is really a useless feature, that many sites don't even have. Personally, I think they should get rid of it all together.
Well heck, it seems to have a somewhat useful effect here. There are now five new posts made just about this feature to give people something to talk about that otherwise wouldn't be here......

Old 10-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Teatime
Karma is so subjective that I feel it's not something to reliably judge a person's character from. For example, I got negative karma for posting something that one person disagreed with for personal reasons and I don't think I deserved it. I've collected enough positive karma since then to more than make up for that one red mark, but just because someone may take issue at something a person says doesn't mean they're a "bad" person. Each time I get positive karma I do feel better about myself though, and I wouldn't want that to be erased.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
hhmoore
Subjective, without a doubt. It is intended to be peer feedback. I've gotten both positive and negative karma for the same post many times over the years; and a person giving you negative karma doesn't mean anything more than that person didn't like that post...the same person might give you positive karma for a different post.

Red boxes don't mean that somebody is a bad person, or even bad to do business with - it is a reflection of how their posts are received. It isn't an indicator that a person is to be avoided...but it can be a prompt to investigate the situation (relatively easy with a low post count, more difficult as the numbers get higher).

Old 10-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #9
Bells
To me the karma system seems to be a popularity contest..

Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #10
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post
To me the karma system seems to be a popularity contest..
Yes, it is. I think it behooves me to encourage people to make posts that are popular with the readers, and the karma system provides the feedback necessary to progress in that general direction.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!