iguana rescued - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
blyndsnypr
iguana rescued

Hey guys
I rescued a 2 year old iguana from a home that had no idea how to take care of her. she was being kept on sand, had nothing to climb on and a sandy water bowl. also being fed nothing but that dry iguana food that looks like dog kibble.
I got her to eat a small handful of veggies (no lettuce) and she looks in ok health, by that i mean shes got a thick tail base, no scars or wounds.
I'm cleaning out all the sand today scrubbing the cage down but sadly its a tank so it opens from the top and she is not a fan of being held because the people didnt know much about iguanas. so ive been whipped a few times lol
no biting or attempts at biting yet, just whips
they gave me her lights too and i was so relieved when i noticed they did have a uvb for her. whew.

also she has a small sneeze, or at least sounds like a sneeze
I will be taking her to a vet soon, but anything i should look out for until then?

any tips for me? as she is my first iguana but i've had many lizards before here and even have a chinese water dragon right now

she really is quite a lovely creature, i love her patterns

Old 02-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
stolenheron
well with regards to the sneezing, iguanas do sneeze regularly to expel salt and other excess minerals from their bodies. I would not worry about it unless you hear "wheezing" which could be a respiratory infection.

ditch the sand, get it some sticks, a big water dish, UV bulb/heat bulb setups and yoi should be good to go. I would get rid of the glass tank and get a screen cage which would promote climbing and a door that opens rather than a top so the animal doesnt feel like you're going to grab it from above.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
blyndsnypr
no wheezing so far
my sisters and I went out back to the forest the other day and got a bunch of sticks. they've been cured and debarked and i tied some together to make a small ramp that she can use to climb out of the tank
yeah ditching the sand today, just got to get her out of it lol
I plan on building her a nice screen cage this weekend

Old 02-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
stolenheron
give her a nice varied diet as well. she probably has some deficiencies, you may still need to feed her some of the dried food in order to entice her to eat veggies and stuff if she is being a finicky eater.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
blyndsnypr
I got butternut and acorn squash, chicory greens, dandelion greens, mango, mustard greens, turnip greens, papaya and watercress at the moment
she likes mustard and turnip greens the more so far

Old 02-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
AGoodwin
she is beautiful. good job to you for getting her out of there. hopefully she warms up to you after a while.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
blyndsnypr
she let me pick her up with little resistance then she sat on my lap for about 10 minutes before going back to her little heated corner on my room then she ate a few pieces of mustard and dandelion greens out of my hand

Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
blyndsnypr
ok good news.
took her to the vet last night and got that dead toe removed without surgery, got nails trimmed and she weighs 372 grams. which is small for being 2 years but I'm working on it
The doc really liked her too, shes got some blue on the sides of her head and doc said she had amazing dorsal spines with a great personality, considering

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!