Best Feeder Roaches - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-10-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
daklieb
Best Feeder Roaches

I recently got a Black Roughneck monitor, he is about 14 inches right now. I was reading around and wondering what the best feeder roaches for him would be.

Erick

Old 07-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Digby Rigby
Exclamation Suitable Feeder Roaches

Breeding your own roaches is best its easy. In fact the physical effort it takes to breed roaches is less than it takes to buy crickets. In fact it was looking for superior alternatives to crix and mealies for the Green tree monitors that got me started in all this. Basically you want a non glass climbing, fast breeding, non flying roach with some good size to it. There are other feeders also but since you asked about roaches I will stick to that. All the roaches I will discuss are non climbing, prolific, non flying, non infesting species. Hopefully these attachments will work. The first is Blaberus fusca a fast moving prolific roach

The next is Blaberus parabolicus one of the more long lived and prolific members of the genus

then there is the true death head Blaberus craniifer the first shot is so you can see what it looks like the second is next to a ruler

There are others such as Blaptica dubia that are somewhat smaller easy to sex as adults breed well and are easily sexed males are winged as adults females arent.

and for all you size queens out there!

not a roach!

Old 07-13-2006, 11:33 PM   #3
daklieb
thanks for all the info. I ended up going to smokingroach.com and ordering one of the Cockroach Cocktail which includes -- 10 Blaberus discoidalis, 10 Blaptica dubia, and 10 Blatta Lateralis.

As for containers for them. It seems like the rubbermaid and the sterlite continers that are colored arent smooth enough for them to not be able to climb. Has anyone had any expirences with thoes.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Digby Rigby
Exclamation Smooth like Glass

if its not smooth and non porous like glass they can climb.

DigbyRigby@exoticfeeders.com

Old 07-15-2006, 01:40 AM   #5
themancmt
you can always use an aluminume trash can with lid or just put some petrolium jelly around the top of the rubermade container.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:40 AM   #6
themancmt
you can always use an aluminum trash can with lid or just put some petroleum jelly around the top of the rubermade container.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Digby Rigby
Warning! Ugh Vaseline!

Vaseline does not handle high heat very well at all it starts to run. Also the roaches will walk into it and with my luck I would pull out a roach that just walked into the vaseline to use as a feeder. I will not feed vaseline covered roaches to my animals. Things like Bug stop also dont work as effectively in high humidity high heat and humidity are 2 things that can help your colony take off. Climbing species are a paint to deal with and they can get past the vaseline in some cases like hisser nymphs can walk through it. Except in rare cases and certainly for roaches one would feed to monitors there is no need for the inconvienience of glass climbing species.

DigbyRigby@exoticfeeders.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!