Brazillian Rainbow Boa Humidity Levels? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
Scarlett_Fawn
Brazillian Rainbow Boa Humidity Levels?

Hi there-

I've read somewhere that adult Brazillian Rainbow Boas don't need as high of a humidity level as they do when they're juveniles.

What are y'all's thoughts on that?

My 2 year old rainbow used to eat every single week of her whole life- even when I first got her and she had mites. Now she has become a dainty eater. I'm wondering if her problems are with humidity levels? I think the cage size and temperature are okay.

Thanks for your time!
Brenda

Old 03-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Bill_Leverton
I may be mistaken but BRB's are a high humidty boa and live their life that way.Did you drop the humidity???.But 1 thing that caught my eye was the "Had Mites" thingy How long did it have them before you noticed it ??? I hope you caught it right away also you say its an adult, 2 years is still a baby as boas get older they do slow down on how much they eat I have a 5 year old that use to pound food now he is like a pain to feed I'm lucky if he eats once every 2 months

Old 03-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett_Fawn
I think the cage size and temperature are okay.
Brenda - that would be the place to start the discussion. What are you keeping her in, how are you heating it, and what are the temperatures?

Old 03-28-2006, 08:05 PM   #4
Laura Fopiano
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Brenda - that would be the place to start the discussion. What are you keeping her in, how are you heating it, and what are the temperatures?
Also, how are you providing her humidity?? A hide with moss, a larger water bowl or misting???

Old 03-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
Vinny D
i keep my BRB's neonates to adults at a day time temp of 84-88 deg's, and at night about 70-75 deg's. and for humidity always no less than 65%, i usually keep them at 75%. and i have never had any problems. i keep my humitity up by misting the cage 1 good time every 3 days. but to keep humidity in the cage up all the time depending what you are housing it in, usually depends on the source of heat. like heat bulbs are great, but they will dry up the cage faster than other heating stuff out their. i hope this helps. and get a zoomed temp & humidity gage, i use them in all of my cages and i never have problems. you just half to check the gages daily and you should be fine. and you said it wasent eating right. are you sure the temp is high enough, cuz that will slow down feeding. i havent heard of humidity levels making problems with feeding, it will make the snake have a bad shed if the humidity is too low..

Old 03-28-2006, 10:54 PM   #6
Boa4u
My experience has been that my adult brbs love to soak themselves. I have rubbermaid containers filled with fresh water in each of their cages and more often than not, they will be in them. I have noticed, that when the humidity levels have gotten too low in their cages, their eyes will sometimes get like these little dents in them. My solution was to tape shut some of the vent holes in my vision cages to help hold more humidity in. The natural evaporation from the water in the rubbermaids and the reduced ventilation seem to have done the trick in my case. Last year the stars aligned right for me and my "virgin" female became a proven breeder and gave birth to 19 perfect babies and zero slugs.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2006, 04:35 AM   #7
Vinny D
BOA4U is correct, but you half to be careful because snakes that soak in their water bowls too much is not good for them. usually soaking in their bowls too much means that they CAN BE seeking shelter from high temps or to releve of mites or other parasites. rember this is not always true, but it's is something to keep in mind.

i have kept my BRB's just like my locality BCC's. depending on the size of the snake's. i use a water bowl that they can get in but i only fill it up maybe half way. snakes do love to swim esp most south american boa species, so you can also give them a bath in the tub. the main reason i dont like my snakes to soak in their bowls too much is because, Bacterium and other contagion are carried into the dish by the animal and quickly multiply in the water and are then ingested or can simply cause skin disorders. just something to keep in mind..

Old 03-29-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
Scarlett_Fawn
My BRB is in a room heated to 78-86 degrees by day with a slight drop in temperature of (I'm estimating) 3-5 degrees at night.

She is in an XL rubbermaid with a lot of holes perforating the lower sides. I just use constantly damp coconut fibers for the substrate. I haven't adjusted her humidity since she was a hatchling- although her water bowl/hiding place isn't as big as when she was a baby. I doubt she could stuff her entire body into it. She's never been too big on soaking anyway.

She didn't have any mites directly out of the bag she was shipped in, but they showed up about 2-3 days later and that didn't take more than one mite-cleansing session for her to never have the problem again. She fed anyway during my first attempt a week later, despite being covered in oil/chemicals and being put into several different scenarios than she was used to. That was 2 years ago... lol I doubt it is affecting her current status.

Maybe I should get a very small, weak heating pad to give her a gradient?

Thanks for your advice-
Brenda

Old 03-29-2006, 05:17 PM   #9
Vinny D
I THINK your--> (Maybe I should get a very small, weak heating pad to give her a gradient) should help out. could you possibly be keeping it too moist in her rubbermaid. rember they need a humidity level of about 70 - 75%, which is how much moisture is in their air. i have had problems with locality BCC's feeding by keeping it too wet in their cages. but everything you said sounds good to me. does she have good body weight? but i think she is just starting to be picky, because everything you posted sounds good to me. hope everything goes well. take care

Old 03-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
Vinny D
BOA4U, i love that BRB awsome red/orange coloring. do you have any babies left? and if so how much are you selling them for? thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!