microscope magnification needs for fecals - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
jmp745
microscope magnification needs for fecals

I'm trying to buy a microscope without spending a ton of money.

This site says you want, "A monocular/binocular compound microscope with viewing objectives of 10X, 40X, 100X, and 400X (any power above 400X is a bonus, but isn't required.)" http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Fecaltest.html

Then this site says "This microscope is strong enough to easily identify pinworms easily and coccidia IN HIGH AMOUNTS." for a 30x 60x pocket scope

I found a scope with 100x 400x & 900x, and another with 150x/450x/900x. Would these even work or is their smallest setting still to strong?

Old 07-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
august quion
I got the cheeper one from beautiful dragons works fine. I use the 100x setting to see if there is anything there then 400x to identify the parasite. Be carefull some pin and cocidia are fine to see present. I rarely treat any dragon that is growing and eating fine even though they have small counts of pin and cocidia. IMO people are over medicating for anything they see. In my experience a female treated with panacure or albon usually after burmation have a less fertile count of eggs but this is my opinion clean cage clean good diet and most your dragons will never have to be treated just my 2 cents.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
jmp745
I'm hoping we can use the 150x/450x/900x one sense its cheaper and local.

As far as amounts of coccidia/pins go, I've read that quite a bit, and plan to stick to it. The other problem is that I see a lot of the time people put a number next to it, which I've read people thinking its the average number in the view of the microscope. But that number would drastically change depending on magnification. So I'm not sure how I'll know whats a lot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!