Heating suggestions for an AP A10/Carpet Python - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
TheFragginDragon
Heating suggestions for an AP A10/Carpet Python

So I'm getting ready to transfer my Coastal Carpet to an Animal Plastics A10 cage, and I would like opinions on heat. The top panel doesn't have the cutouts for lamps, so I'm considering using a heat panel (like the RBI model) or heat mat(s) (like Ultratherm) mounted either on the ceiling, or the top of the back wall. There are large branches that run horizontally across the cage width, varying from 6" below the ceiling, all the way to the bottom. Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2230_1.jpg (22.7 KB, 112 views)

Old 02-16-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
hhmoore
Not having experience with using an Ultratherm mounted on an inside wall, my first recommendation would be to go with an RHP. I've heard good things about the RBI units, but I like the Pro Heat panels for the flexibility in size and output.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
xanaxez
would this type of heat be just for ambient air temps? if not then neither of them lol carpet pythons require more belly heat than ambient air temps but i am assuming your basically using this method as a basking area? if so i would use the radient panel for ambient/basking area and flexwatt for belly heat.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxez View Post
carpet pythons require more belly heat than ambient air temps
What is the basis for that statement?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
TheFragginDragon
Luci never (without exception) spends any time on the floor of her current tank (20 gal long). I rigged up hides both on the ground and among some limbs, and she is always above ground in a hide warmed with a CHE, so I'm betting that she'll do the same thing in her new cage, hence the desire to put the heat source near the top of the cage.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
xanaxez
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
What is the basis for that statement?
All i have are carpet pythons. jungles,coastals,tigers and all of mine stay on the floor mostly on belly heat. everything i have read or researched even backs that suggestion. even on some of the larger breeders sites like will bird,anthony caponneto and a few others even says it and its on morelia.com also. i am not saying hes wrong, his could prefer staying up on a perch but from what i have read heat is absorbed through the belly easier and better than from ambient air.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Uroboros
That looks like a nice enclosure, and I'd be hesitant to cut it up at all, but if it were me, I'd cut out a space for a basking light at the top (and screen it off, of course).

My coastal doesn't have much in the way of climbey stuff (for now) but does spend it's time mostly in the water dish or on the climbey stuff that it does have under the basking light.

The vents at the bottom of that enclosure and a basking light at the top looks like it would support some decent humidity if the substrate was kept moist, too, bringing air in the vents, over the moist substrate and out the top around the light.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
hhmoore
Bo, I don't want to distract from this thread, so I'll shoot you a PM (probably won't be today).

I've had carpets that preferred perches to the cage floor, and vice versa. The choice of heat options needs to be guided by the cage set-up, snake's preferences, and general conditions. A snake (individual, not species) that is largely arboreal in habit, should have the benefit of being able to thermoregulate, too. RHPs are nice in arboreal set ups; but if the snake opts to move to the floor, the benefit can be reduced (depending on the height of the cage and the output of the heater). By the same token, belly heat on the bottom of a 3' tall cage doesn't do much of anything if the snake isn't resting on it. Back wall heat via ultratherm - depending on the room temps, you may not get the temps you want.
My experience with back heat in racks is that it takes a lot more power and surface area to maintain proper temps. Ultratherms are designed to operate at a lower temp than standard heat tape. My concern would be that the lower temps wouldn't radiate as well to provide the desired results...but within an enclosed unit, it might be fine.
It is possible that, whichever choice you make, you may have to supplement it with an additional heat source due to the dimensions of the cage. Consider what you want to achieve with your set up. Decide how much of a factor cost is (obviously, RHPs are more expensive than an ultratherm pad).

Old 02-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
TheFragginDragon
Thanks for the advice guys. I sent an email to Pro Products yesterday asking for their suggestions on a RHP based on my description of the cage, but have yet to get a reply. Hopefully soon.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
TheFragginDragon
Well, Pro Products isn't bothering to answer my queries, so I'm going to check out RBI's model.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!