Does anyone else despise winter? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #31
Scootter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Since the onslaught of the bitterly cold weather I have become a cooking and baking fiend, with everything made from scratch.

Lasagna
Chocolate Cake
Banana Bread
French Toast Casserole
Beef Soup

Tonight is expected to be the coldest yet so I am doing a very slow-cook oven turkey using this recipe:
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...7?ftab=reviews

The house may be cold but I can at least make it smell good.
So do I have to print out this invite and show it at the door or am I just good to come over and graze?

Old 01-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #32
WebSlave
Yeah, Connie made a real nice shrimp and crab meat (REAL shrimp and crab meat, not that crappy imported stuff) chowder that lasted several days and really hit the spot. Got us warmed up and ready to go out to cover the citrus each evening.

Supposed to just barely get to below the freezing point tonight, and then this upcoming week will be getting highs in the 70s. Now that is more like it!

So tomorrow we will be taking down the tarps, folding them up, and putting them into the shed till the next cold spell comes along. With any luck, that won't be till next Winter.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #33
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootter View Post
So do I have to print out this invite and show it at the door or am I just good to come over and graze?
Come on over! We're supposed to warm up just to the point where we'll get a lovely ice storm on Monday though. I'd rather have bitterly cold but dry weather than wintry mix/freezing rain any day.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #34
Scootter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Come on over! We're supposed to warm up just to the point where we'll get a lovely ice storm on Monday though. I'd rather have bitterly cold but dry weather than wintry mix/freezing rain any day.
It's been a couple years since I've been over in your neck of the woods. Might be worth the drive.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #35
JColt
Started out 48F today. By 1pm it was 24F with -2 windchill. Ice rain on the way home from work. Snowing heavy now and swirling with 30 plus mph winds. 6 to 8 inches tonight. Ugh!

Old 01-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #36
WebSlave
Yeah, got some chilly weather coming in down here too. They modified it a bit today so the forecast doesn't look as bad as they were showing just yesterday, but we'll be covering the younger citrus trees, all the same. Ask me if I would be surprised that the national weather service's forecast would be dramatically wrong 12 hours in advance.....

Old 01-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #37
Helenthereef
Hey, at least your weather service doesn't operate with a Tarot deck - we work on the "open the window and look outside" system.....

Old 01-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #38
WebSlave
I think a Tarot deck would probably work much better with those people.

Honestly, they must work in buildings without windows, because they can't even get the current observed weather correct, when all it would take is to look out a window to see what was going on.

Honestly, I love hearing people say with a straight face that they believe these people can accurately predict what "global warming" is going to do to the entire earth 100 years from now.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:09 PM   #39
wvaherp
I finally got our chimney work finished this past September (after 2 and a half years...) and spent the last couple hundred dollars on materials to get the wood stove hooked up at the tail end of the last cold snap. Didn't have to use it last week with the 50-60 degree temps this week, but it was back in the teens all day and getting into the single digits again tonight. Sure is nice not having the furnace run all the time to keep the house warm! Honestly, I'm happier with the cold than the damned mud we had this week with those warm temps. 4 dogs + mud + carpet = annoying enough to not care if I have to warm up the car or wear a heavier jacket!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!