So are there any tricks to this? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-31-2007, 11:56 PM   #1
Leighanne
So are there any tricks to this?

Tonite I tried feeding Lickity a Rat. She sniffed at it and turned around so I left it in there until tommorrow morning, like I always do. She has only ever had ft Mice, this was an ft Rat. So are there any tricks?

Old 04-01-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
iasc300
One of my balls has done the same- and only eats mice- but my others have taken rats- what I did was- Hold the rat with a pair of thongs and twist it by its tail so it spins around and looks like its moving- move it closer to the snake so it can get a good wiff of the rat and twist it again- I just kept doing this and they took the rats- everytime I twist and they take now- I know there are alot of different tricks but this one has worked the best for me- goodluck Kristin

Old 04-01-2007, 01:24 AM   #3
LadyOhh
Another option you may have is scenting the rat with mouse scent.

Basically, put the two together, and if you can, get mouse bedding and shake the rat up in that for a while, and then try again.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
garweft
Scenting with a mouse will probably be the best method for you if she was already taking F/T mice. It wont hurt to make her a little hungry before offering again either. Don't fed her for a week or two, then offer the F/T rat either scented or not.

You just need to be more hard headed than the snake. Don't let her win.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
Suncoast Herpetological
I have not tried this with Balls but it used to work well with my Boas when i had one that disliked F/T. After thawing, draw a container of hot water from the faucet. Let it run as hot as it will go but do not heat the water farther. Dip the F/T rat's head in the water for about 30 seconds. Quickly dry it off and then offer it to the snake on tongs and gently wiggle the head back and forth. I have had this work on some real feeding problem children

Old 04-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
NorthernRegius.com
Scenting your rat with soiled mouse bedding or rubbing an old FT mouse (kept just for this purpose & thawed with the rat) will usually do the trick. Since your snake is already on FT it's only a matter of getting it to "smell right".
Best Wishes- Deb

Old 04-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
THEREALMIKEMOORE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological
I have not tried this with Balls but it used to work well with my Boas when i had one that disliked F/T. After thawing, draw a container of hot water from the faucet. Let it run as hot as it will go but do not heat the water farther. Dip the F/T rat's head in the water for about 30 seconds. Quickly dry it off and then offer it to the snake on tongs and gently wiggle the head back and forth. I have had this work on some real feeding problem children

This is the same method I use for my balls and it works great. I just got a female who the previous owner said she would not eat f/t rats. I use this method and she at 1 small f/t rat and 1 rat pup(on the first try without having to move them around like they were alive). I have always had success with this method. Sometimes I dont have to move it around..i just get a bowl and lay the hot thawed rat in it..and turn off the lights and all my balls take it like that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!