Venomoids, the right and the wrong. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
ScottyPimpin
Venomoids, the right and the wrong.

I've been a constrictor keeper for about 20 years now. Recently considering a hot/venomoid so i've done quite a bit of research, forum searching etc. This is my point of view that i'd like to share.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

opions.... there's a saying i'm sure everyone is familiar with. "Opinions are like @assholes, everybody has one".

I'm not jumping on either side of the boat because if i did, it would simply be my opinion. What's right to a person is determined about how they "feel" about the topic. I hate to break it to ya but "feelings" are generated (aka made up) by you. Some people "feel" offended by some things that others "feel" is something stupid to be offended by.

Bottom line is we (humans) are king of the jungle. Modern medicine has gone a long way and it's going to continue to get better as time goes on. To say venomoid is just wrong and shouldn't be performed is a bit extreme. If it can be done people are going to do it, that's how it works.

So if a person wants a breed of snake that is naturally venomous but doesn't want to take the risk of dieing when he/she gets bit.. well it makes perfect sense. But how that person goes about having the snakes capability to produce/inject venom is what this topic should be about.

The Wrong?
Having glands, venom sack etc removed by a non licensed individual with no medicine to ease the pain is simply wrong. Now you may say "that's your opinion" and your right. But i'm not going to have my teeth pulled or a knee replacement surgery done by some guy in a garage with no license and no medicine.

The Right?
Having the procedure done by a licensed reptile surgeon. The snake treated for pain before and after surgery. Removing the entire venom apparatus, including the glands. Replacing them with medical grade implants to fill the area where venom glands were removed.

Some of you may be familiar with that information because it's nearly word for word from Venomoidinc.

So let's get passed the whole "venomoids are right or wrong" and move on. Things change because humans change them. If there's a will there's a way and that's why modern medicine has evolved to the level it has today. I have a saying, "If it's worth doing, do it right" and for that I give venomoidinc 100% support on what they are doing. It may not be for everyone, that's all about having a choice in how to live your life.

There are people not only on this forum but all over that ask about having the venom removed. Instead of being an extremist why not point them in the right direction and show them the right procedure vs the wrong. It's a lot more effective then just saying "it's not ethical, venom grows back" etc.

That's my $.02

Old 01-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
hhmoore
I'm sure the good doctor appreciates your efforts at promoting and advertising his business

Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Helenthereef
[quote=ScottyPimpin;845952]I've been a constrictor keeper for about 20 years now. Recently considering a hot/venomoid so i've done quite a bit of research, forum searching etc. This is my point of view that i'd like to share.
I hate to break it to ya but "feelings" are generated (aka made up) by you."

These are your feelings right?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
ScottyPimpin
[quote=Helenthereef;846234]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyPimpin View Post
I've been a constrictor keeper for about 20 years now. Recently considering a hot/venomoid so i've done quite a bit of research, forum searching etc. This is my point of view that i'd like to share.
I hate to break it to ya but "feelings" are generated (aka made up) by you."

These are your feelings right?
After 432 posts you'd think a person would learn how to use the quotes correctly.... Why don't you try reading the entire post before you pick apart the very beginning and try to comment on it.

This is a forum so i know they don't test your education level before letting you in as a member. So let me summarize my post just in case it's too much for you to read.

Summary
There are proper ways and safe ways of making a venomous snake a venomoid. The snake handling community should help those interested in a venomoid by pointing them in the right direction for the procedure.

To answer your smart ass comment, read the very bottom of my post where it says That's my $.02

Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
hhmoore
Well, Mr Carrying Some Kind of Chip on Your Shoulder, you botched the quote tags, too
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyPimpin View Post
The snake handling community should help those interested in a venomoid by pointing them in the right direction for the procedure.
Why should the snake handling community direct people toward your selected vendor - or any other - if they disagree with either the process or the end result?

Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
Alex G
Lol... I apologize ahead of time for the controversial comparison, can't think of anything else right now...

"Eugenics is totally safe, as long as you only let certain people decide which genes are deleterious or not! Instead of always telling people who are asking about it to go read a book, why not direct them to a proper genetics counselor, so they can weed out genes they dislike safely! Changes only occur because humans deign them to occur, it is our divine right as the ALMIGHTY MASTER RACE! Just my $.02"

Old 01-05-2010, 01:39 AM   #7
Gary O
I tell you what. Doctors make mistakes all the time. Are you ready to put your life in a vets hands.......................... There is probably not one soul against this more then I. I have seen this said vendor FREEHANDLE gaboons at a certain show. At a SHOW! BS if you ask me.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
ScottyPimpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O View Post
I tell you what. Doctors make mistakes all the time. Are you ready to put your life in a vets hands.......................... There is probably not one soul against this more then I. I have seen this said vendor FREEHANDLE gaboons at a certain show. At a SHOW! BS if you ask me.
Your right to a certain extent, humans do make mistakes. I'm sure if the doctor was just making an incision to the glands it is possible and i nor most people would trust it. It's hard to make a mistake when your removing the entire apparatus, but i'm far from a Dr so that's just me picturing it the best I can. But lets not forget that practice makes perfect, you'll always get better and more accurate the more you do something, that is a fact.

Your saying that the vendor i mentioned (venomoidinc) FREEHANDLE a venomoid they performed the procedure on at a show... I don't see how this is a bad thing. It's very bold but it shows how certain they are and how much they trust their own procedure.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
hhmoore
Scott - are they paying you a commission for every time you post the business name someplace? Are you in any way associated with them? If not, why are you plugging them so hard?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
ScottyPimpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Scott - are they paying you a commission for every time you post the business name someplace? Are you in any way associated with them? If not, why are you plugging them so hard?
No i'm not associated with them in any way. The reason i mention their name is because they are the only ones I know of that perform this type of procedure in the manner they do. From the beginning i've been trying to talk about the procedure in general using modern medical technology. Unfortunately there is no one else that does it that i'm aware of.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!