Help on Mister, heat water,how long should I mist - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Titobattilocchi
Arrow Help on Mister, heat water,how long should I mist

So I decided to go with the Pro Mister 60 but now I don't know if I should heat the water up before misting our Panthered Chameleon. Any help would be nice. How many times should I mist a day, how long. What should the water temp be if I was to warm the water up? Do I just put a heater in the 5 gallon bucket and that is it, or is there more to it?

I just got him today and I don't get my mister until next Wednesday. So I'm misting him a couple times a day by hand until I get it. Thanks I would really appreciate any help.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Gina Gauvin
Lightbulb Sorry, wrote you a caresheet!

Hi Jeff,
Congrats on the new panther! How old or big is he? Because he is a rainforest species you do need to provide a high humidity. Not just misting. Not sure about the mister you bought, but here's some hands on misting info, etc. Having a good size enclosure (I'd suggest a 4x4ft at least)or shorter width, taller height.) They need to feel like they're in a tree looking down on you. They need screen not glass, so they get fresh air, and don't see their reflection.
It's hard to just mist and get humidity, so fill it with a few potted plants like hibiscus, ficus, or pothos (Non toxic plants). Keep the soil moist. Keep a bowl of water in the cage. You can put an empty bowl in the cage daily, and sit a large plastic cup of water with a pinhole in the bottom, on top of the cage, over the bowl, and the dripping into the bowl will teach the cham to drink out of the bowl. Just becareful the water doesn't drip into the lighting!
He should be misted at least 3 times a day, with very warm water. You can touch it and not get burn't warm, or warm like a babies bath. Test it by misting your arm and you'll see it cools before hitting you. You want to first mist down the enclosure, all around him, then mist him gently, slowly so he doesn't run off. Then open the cage door and mist him a little closer, gently and if he's licking the mist, I turn it to more of a squirt and slowly dribble it near his mouth (if he's an adult). You want to be careful not to make him aspirate or choke on it, but he will drink it daily, and it'd be good for him.
But if he's young, just mist well for about 5min, about 3-4times a day. Teaching him to drink daily is good for him. Breathing in a misty, humid environment is good too.
Chameleon's are very delicate and sensitive to bacteria and his cage should be cleaned at least weekly. If it's not screen, bacteria will grow quicker. His cage should be secluded, so he can't see other reptiles or animals as they will stress him. I just use lot's of plants around them and that provides humidity. If you look at his cage and can spot him easily, it's not secluded enough for him.
He's a solitary reptile, that's mostly a don't touch me pet. I use a stick for them to climb onto if I need to take him out. If you have a tree in his cage, you can stick the tree with him on it( when he's an adult), in the shower, out of the water and just getting the mist, about once a week, while washing his cage bottom (But don't drown him, you'll have to monitor him)
Sorry, I wrote you a book! But I love these guys, and hate when I hear; Ohh he loves to be held and stays out of his cage, but I don't understand why he died.
Good luck!

Old 12-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Titobattilocchi
Thanks that is a lot of good help that I was looking for. He is young, I'm guessing about 6 inches or so. I got him from ChameleonsNorthWest. He look to be in really good shape I'm really pleased with him. I'm just trying to make sure that we are doing everything right. I all so got a RO/DI unite for his misting and drinking water. I don't know if I should use a heater in the bucket that holds the water for the mister or not. The guy that I got the mister from, he is the one that makes them and the only one that sales them. He said that I don't need one because the mist is going to be so fine that it will raise to room temp if it is colder in the bucket or it will cool to room temp if it is warmer than room temp. He said it is just because the nozzles shoot out such a fine mist. I was wondering what you might think about the whole thing. Thanks for your help. I hope someday I can do the same for someone else.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
Gina Gauvin
Thumbs up mist cools the water

Even if you were to warm the bucket of water, because your misting it, the water cools to at least room temperature. Kind of like the wind chill factor when the wind makes it colder than it really is..I'd suggest to follow his instructions. I would put warm water in there , let it cool, and just make sure he has a baskin spot to warm up.
He sounds like he could be anywhere from 4-7months. If you got him from the breeder ask what they had for it's diet, and how much they fed him. Trying to keep the same diet will limit stress.

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!